Balea wifi-connect on boot

Hi

So this code works, but something is not right. It can’t create a wifi-hotspot when orange pi zero has no internet.

#!/bin/sh -e

freq=120

sleep 10

while  true; do

echo "Checking internet connectivity ..."
    wget --spider --no-check-certificate 1.1.1.1 > /dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "Your device is already connected to the internet."
        echo "Skipping setting up Wifi-Connect Access Point. Will check again i>
    else
        echo "Your device is not connected to the internet."
        echo "Starting up Wifi-Connect.\n Connect to the Access Point and confi>
        python3 /home/wifi.py # this could also probably be just `wifi-connect`>
    fi

sleep $freq

done

But If code is written like this hotspot works. It creates hotspot when orange pi zero has internet connection.

#!/bin/sh -e

freq=120

sleep 10

while  true; do

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "Skipping setting up Wifi-Connect Access Point. Will check again i>
        python3 /home/wifi.py
    else
        echo "Starting up Wifi-Connect.\n Connect to the Access Point and confi>
    fi

sleep $freq

done

log:
Checking internet connectivity …
Your device is already connected to the internet.
Skipping setting up Wifi-Connect Access Point. Will check again in 120 seconds

Hi,

can you please elaborate on what you are trying to achieve / what should the hotspot do?

The main purpose of wifi-connect is to let you specify wifi credentials if the device has no internet connection. If the device is connected to the internet it should not need wifi-connect at all.

Thanks

Hi,

I am trying to create hotspot when Orange pi zero has no active wired or wifi connection.
from the syslog I think problem is a permissions.
rc-local.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=4/NOPERMISSION

Thanks for the information. What operating system are you running? How did you install wifi-connect?

OS - Armbian
Installed using this command - bash <(curl -L https://github.com/balena-io/wifi-connect/raw/master/scripts/raspbian-install.sh)

Log then where is wired connection

Jul 21 11:06:31 orangepizero rc.local[862]: Your device is already connected to the internet.
Jul 21 11:06:31 orangepizero rc.local[862]: Skipping setting up Wifi-Connect Access Point. Will check again in 120 seconds

I am a little confused now, you mention you want to create the hotspot when the Orange Pi “has no active wired or wifi connection”, yet the logs you have attached are from a situation when the wired connection is in place?

The connectivity check is wget --spider --no-check-certificate 1.1.1.1 > /dev/null 2>&1 if the wired connection provides internet connection this will pass and wifi-connect will not start.

If what you are looking for is to run wifi-connect when there is no wifi connection and ignore ethernet you can replace the wget ... command by e.g. iwgetid -r.

Okay, I think something is very wrong. Then I try code like this, hotspot work. Wired connection in on.

#!/bin/sh -e

freq=120

sleep 10

while  true; do

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "Skipping setting up Wifi-Connect Access Point. Will check again i"
        python3 /home/wifi.py
    else
        echo "Starting up Wifi-Connect.\n Connect to the Access Point and confi"
    fi

sleep $freq

done

But if code is like this. Hotspot doesn’t show up. Wired connection is off.
Jul 21 12:10:13 orangepizero rc.local[893]: Checking internet connectivity …
Jul 21 12:10:13 orangepizero systemd[1]: rc-local.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=4/NOPERMISSION

#!/bin/sh -e

freq=120

sleep 10

while  true; do

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "Skipping setting up Wifi-Connect Access Point. Will check again i"
    else
        echo "Starting up Wifi-Connect.\n Connect to the Access Point and confi"
        python3 /home/wifi.py
    fi

sleep $freq

done

Hi there, from your recent messages what I understand is:

1. When there is a wired connection, wget --spider --no-check-certificate 1.1.1.1 > /dev/null 2>&1 returns 0 and so your script enters the if condition
  2. If you don’t have a wired connection, when your script gets to wget --spider --no-check-certificate 1.1.1.1 > /dev/null 2>&1, you receive an error: rc-local.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=4/NOPERMISSION

Is this accurate? Have you tried to replace wget --spider --no-check-certificate 1.1.1.1 > /dev/null 2>&1 with iwgetid -r as my colleague suggested?

Hi again,

I was finally able to reproduce this and figure it out. The core issue is the -e in #!/bin/sh -e which kills the script after wget fails. Additionally having an infinite loop in /etc/rc.local seems to block some services from initalizing.

I would suggest doing the following:

• Create a new file for the init script, e.g. /usr/local/sbin/wifi-connect-loop.sh containing
#!/bin/sh

freq=120

sleep 10

while true
do

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
    then
        echo "Skipping setting up Wifi-Connect Access Point. Will check again in $freq seconds"
    else
        echo "Starting up Wifi-Connect. Connect to the Access Point and configure the SSID and Passphrase for the network to connect to."
        python /home/wifi.py
    fi

sleep $freq
done
  • Create a new file named /etc/systemd/system/wifi-connect.service containing
[Unit]
Description=Run wifi-connect in an infinite loop

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/wifi-connect-loop.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
  • Reload systemd: systemctl daemon-reload
  • Enable the service: systemctl enable wifi-connect.service
  • Reboot

The infinite loop script should be autostarted on boot and should spawn wifi-connect if no connection is available. When connected to the internet it will just loop infinitely until the connection is broken.

Yes this is is accurate.
I have tried iwgetid -r and that didn’t help.

I have done all the steps but nothing happened. Syslog now shows nothing about wifi-connect :smiley:

Thanks for your help. Code works.

Hi
Just to confirm, were you able to use wifi-connect as intended for your use case?

Thanks

Yes, it works. Thank you :blush: