Audio Service Not Starting on Pi Zero 2 W

Hi there,

I’m trying to install Balenasound to control a bunch of snapcast receivers. The multiroom master device is a Pi Zero 2 W using a USB DAC (I know this is a brand new device so fully aware that I’m beta testing it, but as it seems similar to a Pi 3 in power I figured it’d probably be supported as a multiroom master eventually).

The audio service never gets going. Anyone have any pointers from these logs?

audio  --- Audio ---
 audio  Starting audio service with settings:
 audio  - pulseaudio 13.0
 audio  - Pulse log level: NOTICE
 audio  - Default output: AUTO
 audio  - Default volume: 75%
 audio  
 audio  Detected audio cards:
 audio  ---nosoundcards---  
 audio  
 audio  OKW: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
 audio  W: [pulseaudio] server-lookup.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
 audio  W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11

This is resolved! I created a new fleet with the aarch64 architecture (as opposed to armv7hf, as I no longer have any older devices in the fleet) and added the Pi Zero 2 W to that fleet, at which point the ‘audio’ service was able to start.

I then found myself with what looks to be the same “no sound” issue as a bunch of the recent posts, which I resolved by opening a terminal session to the ‘audio’ container, running

pactl list short sinks

to get the sink name for my interface, then running

pactl set-default-sink alsa_output.usb-soundcard-0.analog-stereo-output

to route the audio to the USB DAC. I imagine this won’t survive reboots.

Oops, looks like that killed multiroom (which makes sense), and the sound card’s input (enabled via SOUND_ENABLE_SOUNDCARD_INPUT = 1) is no longer working, after it had been working flawlessly for almost a year.

Hello

Can you please check the device configuration and confirm what value is set for dtoverlay?

If it is vc4-kms-v3d i believe you a re running into rpi4: snd_bcm2835 kernel module not being loaded on newer balenaOS versions · Issue #100 · balenablocks/audio · GitHub . If that’s the case, you can either remove the config or set it to vc4-fkms-v3d

You can also refer to Support - Home in the troubleshooting guide.

Let us know if this works