Analog (3.5mm Jack) not working on fresh install

Created a new system for balena sound, but the headphone jack is not working.

Tested the speakers and the rpi4 itself with Raspbian, it just seems to be balena.

Cat /proc/asound/cards shows only the HDMI devices for 0 and 1, no bcm or other analog audio.

It is stock flashed out of the box balena with sole purpose of audio streaming.

Some research showed this being an old problem, but the older solutions don’t seem to work. Let me know what you want to see or have me run, happy to change anything to make this work.

Have rebooted many times, and even reinstalled new fresh to be sure, still no audio out of 3.5mm Jack.

Thank you

btw, a usb sound bar works fine

Hi,

First thing would be to look at what version of balenaSound are you running on your device wrt which balenaOS version? Also, it would help to double check the setup instructions here: Getting started - Home

I can suggest a couple of things you can check, and lets see if we find anything which helps resolve our issue here:

• Check if you are on 64 bit balenaOS. Ref: Support - Home
  • Check if you docker-compose.yml has priviledge: true

If you still have this issue see if this recent thread (Balena sound - No audio playing from 3.5mm jack; RPI4) has any matching attributes and also some of the response output will help debug this issue.

Regards,
Nitish

Just created an account, just started using this. Not exactly a linux noob, but things are not quite where I expect them in this OS. I would assume that a fresh install with nothing else should work out of the box, and have basic item enabled from the start.

Ran some suggested commands in the audio container:
Connecting to 28ed257a9cba031867fe234abd70cf5d…
Spawning shell…
bash-5.1# pactl list sinks short
0 alsa_output.usb-soundcard-2.analog-stereo module-alsa-card.c s16le 2ch 44100Hz RUNNING
1 balena-sound.input module-null-sink.c s16le 2ch 44100Hz IDLE
2 balena-sound.output module-null-sink.c s16le 2ch 44100Hz IDLE
3 snapcast module-null-sink.c s16le 2ch 44100Hz RUNNING
bash-5.1# lsmod | grep snd
aplay -l
snd_usb_audio 249856 0
snd_hwdep 20480 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_usbmidi_lib 36864 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi 40960 1 snd_usbmidi_lib
snd_seq_device 20480 1 snd_rawmidi
mc 57344 7 snd_usb_audio,bcm2835_codec,bcm2835_isp,v4l2_mem2mem,videobuf2_v4l2,videobuf2_common,videodev
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: vc4hdmi0 [vc4-hdmi-0], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: vc4hdmi1 [vc4-hdmi-1], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
card 2: usb-soundcard-2 [Dell AC511 USB SoundBar], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
bash-5.1# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: vc4hdmi0 [vc4-hdmi-0], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
card 1: vc4hdmi1 [vc4-hdmi-1], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
card 2: usb-soundcard-2 [Dell AC511 USB SoundBar], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
bash-5.1#

Not sure how to check the docker yml priviledge

Since you are using a 64 bit OS, have you tried removing the vc4-kms-v3d dtoverlay setting from the Device Configuration section of your device?
To check your docker-compose.yml go to the “releases” page for your fleet, (on the left side menu) and click on the current release. The docker-compose.yml file will be on the right. We just want to confirm that the audio service has the entry privileged: true.