WiFi-enable USB printers with a Raspberry Pi and share it over your network

Please use the thread below to discuss the related blog post:

@ Author

Thanks for a very helpful post. I tried several other options as well but failed to print wirelessly using your defined method as well.

Configuration:
Raspberry Pi (v1 / Zero / Zero W)
HP Laserjet MFP1005 Black & White Printer

I am able to find and select drivers by default but getting the following errors:

1. While printing test page:
    I’m getting “filter-failed” error.

Hello @forgivensinner welcome to the balena community.

I checked the project and i’m not sure it’s compatible with Raspberry Pi zero. Do you have a Raspberry Pi 3 to test with?

Let us know if this works!

But the printer is detecting fine with drivers and everything.

I am also able to find the printer on the AirPrint from my phone, CUPS receives the print command as well but “Filter Failed” after that.

You need to install HP proprietary plugin. Make sure you have hplip package installed and then run “hp-plugin -i” to download and install that plugin.

1 Like

Or in my case, with a Brother HL-2140, the default option didn’t work, and I had to select “using brlaser v6”. After installing the HP proprietary plugin (probably irrelevant).

Hi, I am trying to add Canon MF236n Printer, but I can’t find the driver from the cups driver list, can you share tips on how do I proceed afterward. Thanks,

Hi

Can anyone help me with a laserjet p1505n please? It needs a plugin but the only filetype I can find is .rpm.

Thanks

@jliu @ro-761

Have you tried one of the generic PPDs that CUPS offers?

• Canon MF236n - I see that it supports IPP so I would give the everywhere PPD a try.
  • HP P1505 - This little guy came out in 2003 and IPP Everywhere wasn’t around until 2013, so I would give the legacy HP LaserJet Series PPD a try instead.

If it works (or you find another way to get the needed driver) please do share for others’ knowledge!