What's the workflow for provisioning hundreds of devices?

Ideally I would be able to download a .img file that can simply be blasted on to the device that would also include the current version of the application at the time the .img was downloaded from resin.io. When the system connects the first time, it takes care of all of the provisioning. In this was I could send one .img file to my manufacture to be burned on to all devices coming from a factory. When I get the devices I could plug them in and deal with registering them, serial number recording and such very quickly (without waiting for long download times).

In the case of the beaglebone black, I would want the image to burn itself to the eeprom by default without having to have user intervention (the pressing of the C1 button). The .img would also give a visual indicator when it completes the burning process. This allows a manufacture to setup an assembly line that is burning many .img files on to the devices quickly.

1 Like

Hi @badevguru

Ideally I would be able to download a .img file that can simply be blasted on to the device that would also include the current version of the application at the time the .img was downloaded from resin.io.

This is something we’re currently working on, and hopefully be ready in some weeks.

In the case of the beaglebone black, I would want the image to burn itself to the eeprom by default without having to have user intervention (the pressing of the C1 button).

Sadly I don’t think it’s possible. Pressing the C1 button is the way of telling the BeagleBone to boot from the sdcard instead of from the eeprom, so this is a limitation imposed by the device.

Anyway I’d ask about the latter in a BeagleBone specific community, since there might be a workaround we ignore!

Hi @jviotti,

Any update if the functionality to directly download .img’s is there yet?

Hi @adnanoner,

Pre-loaded containers are now supported. You can read our blog post and check out the git repo.

I hope this helps!

1 Like