Switch Compute Module Off/On

is it possible to run just the co-processor to do basic functions, then switch on and boot the CM to do heavy lifting?

I am developing a system which needs to be very low energy most of the time.

Thanks

Hello Gareth,

Sure, that is the main reason why we included a co-processor. The co-processor can power the CM on and off as required.

great that sounds ideal.
Is there any documentation to describe how to boot just the co-processor and program that?
I did try booting the board with the CM removed but it wouldnt boot at all.

Gareth,

I’ll have an example uploaded to our GH repository soon. Will make sure to let you know when it’s available.

Gareth,
I’ll have an example uploaded to our GH repository soon. Will make sure to let you know when it’s available.

Thanks

Hi. Any idea when the example will be ready?

Hi Gareth,

It’s been merged just now. You can take a look at the examples here.

Cheers!

Hi Gareth,
It’s been merged just now. You can take a look at the examples here.
Cheers!

Thanks. I took a quick look, but couldnt see anything which talked about switching the Compute module. Am I missing something?

@garethem , the example is an introduction on how to use the co-processor on the Fin. We are working on more detailed examples including how to power switch the compute module. We’ll be sharing more examples in the next few days.

Cheers!

@garethem this has been discussed in several other threads in the last couple of weeks. In case you haven’t been following them, the sleep (on/off) functionality has been implemented in our firmata library.

Cheers,
Nico