SSH Connection From Server

I understand openBalena uses VPN to route SSH connections.

How can I connect via SSH from the Server computer running openBalena to a specific device using a regular terminal?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

You may use our balena CLI to establish SSH connection to a running device. After you login to openBalena, then you may do balena ssh to access either a running container or the host OS.

Thanks @majorz

@rlev SSH to remote devices is still work-in-progress and I expect balena ssh to fail. You still can SSH into devices on your local network, either via plain SSH or balena local ssh.

Thank for information @dfunckt

If using plain ssh to connect i.e ssh@localdeviceip what is the user and password?

I have tried to do ssh via this command to a device running a development version of BalenaOS non-managed and I get this results :

command : ssh -A -p 22222 root@192.168.1.8

output : ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.8 port 22222: No route to host

Any hints?

If I try
balena ssh 192.168.1.8
I get
root@ssh.devices.mydomain.com: Permission denied (publickey).

:frowning:

I have had no trouble getting SSH via local IP to my development devices like this;

ssh root@{local IP} -p 22222

It should just let you in, no password required.

Yes, this is expected since SSH is not yet working via balena ssh on openbalena.

Also - are you using a production image? That will require an SSH public key to authenticate your login. I am working on this at the moment.

@richbayliss thanks for getting back.

I am using a development BalenaOS v.2.28 for a dart imx6ul board. I know there is a newer version 2.29 Rev.2 but did not try yet.

I thought you might like to follow these steps to get SSH working to your devices on openBalena… SSH into host device

This is a workaround until we get the balena CLI updated to include it directly :ok_hand:

1 Like