SPI on Beaglebone Black

Hi,

I’ve shifted to Resin 2.12.7 for Beaglebone black and my old method of enabling spi using pin-config appears to now be deprecated. On the host os, I can execute “echo BB-SPIDEV0 > /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots” to get SPI back, but I would like this to persist this between reboots. As the resin filesystem appears to be read only, what is the recommended way to get the Host / container to do this?

Adding the command to a privileged container’s startup script seems to result in the container producing “bash: echo: write error: No such file or directory” - probably as it can’t “see” slots.

Hi,
how were you enabling them until now? and on what resinOS version?

Sorry for the delay. I’ve found that on Resin OS 2.12.7, if you are using a docker compose file (i.e. multiple container images) the guest containers do not get to see /lib/firmware and as such, are unable to apply overlays to enable SPI. If you have a single container running on Resin OS 2.12.7 without docker compose, the container is able to see /lib/firmware and as such, enable the SPI bus.

Hi @azazeal, you can enable access to /lib/firmware in the multicontainer setting using a service label: io.resin.features.firmware, something like:

someservice:
    labels:
      io.resin.features.firmware: '1'

where the ... are just other, not relevant entries in docker-compose.yml. Here just wanted to highlight how to set this label for a specific service.

See more about the available service labels in our docs:

Let us know if you check it out, whether it works!