server compatability with OpenBalena

Hello,

is it possible to install OpenBalena on a Microsoft Azure Server? Or is it only able to run on a KVM Server?

Thank you in advance!

I have run openBalena on an Azure Linux VM. Is this what you mean?

Create Azure Linux VM:

Install openBalena:

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation @mv1

Would you like to create a step-by-step tutorial for other developers from the community?

Let us know if you have any specific issue @inno

Hello @mv1 Mv1 do you have experience how much power the VM needs?

We ran it on an Azure D4s_v3 which is 4 vCPUs and 16 GiB RAM. It was able to handle 900+ devices, although reliability was becoming a concern. We migrated all of the devices to balenaCloud.

what do you mean by reliability?

what do you mean by reliability?
?

We were worried about being so dependent on a single VM. Also having to worry about applying updates to the server as well as updating the certs.

ok because you wrote that reliability became a problem

Our concern was also having 1 VM that runs everything, which isn’t really best practice.
That’s why I’ve made a Kubernetes Helm chart, which runs every container in a pod, and those pods can be run on other nodes (VM’s). This also enables easier scaling for the API and VPN. Haven’t tested it for the S3 (but that can be offloaded to an S3 storage, see my blog written for Balena) and for the database, but the database can be scaled horizontally or a managed database of Postgres can be used.

This tackles the scaling and redundant issues for openBalena as well as relying on one VM. I can’t address however how stable openBalena is, we have hundreds of devices running, not without any issues (VPN had to be restarted a few times, database with high load etc), but it works quite well!