Running SIM7600E from UART only on RPI3B+

Hi everyone,

Recently I have joined the Balena community and started to play around with this awesome tool!

I have run into following issue:

• I would like to use SIM7600E hat, with RPI3B+ communicating only by UART, but I am not sure how to configure the system.

So far I was able to use the modem with the default (nearly) configuration provided in Balena docs, but I was only able to connect it over its USB (USB, not USB->serial connection) and it works.

How shall the configuration be done to allow it?

HW setup so far:

• RPi3B+,
  • SIM7600E waveshare HAT,
  • connection over USB (SIM7600E’s native USB),

HW setup to be:

• RPi3B+,
  • SIM7600E waveshare HAT,
  • connection over UART only,

Looking forward for some input!

Hi @bolek,
you can find here some documentation on Using UART or Serial on Raspberry Pi 3.
Hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and I’ll be happy to assist,
Georgia

Hello @georgiats,

Many thanks for Your answer. I will try in incoming days to implement the solution from the link and get back with the result and/or more question.

Bolek

Hello @georgiats,

I have tried to follow the documentation. Direct entering of the variable was not possible, the notification was that the variable of this name already exists. Hence I have modified following variable in Configuration tab:

After doing so, simple reboot did not work to use the SIM7600 HAT only via UART.

Any further tips?
Bolek

Hello Bolek,

when you say :

Direct entering of the variable was not possible, the notification was that the variable of this name already exists.

do you mean RESIN_HOST_CONFIG_dtoverlay = pi3-miniuart-bt ?
There is also the following alias BALENA_HOST_CONFIG_dtoverlay
It will be important to make sure that only one of these variables exist and only once. Same approach with dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt carefully make sure that nothing is overwriting anything else.

Let us know if this helps,

Thanks!