Running balena on the Seeed Studio EdgeBox RPI 200

To access to the Seeed Studio EdgeBox RPI 200 Phoenix Connector GPIO it is needed to update the Device Tree parameters of the default balenaOS image. Luckily, it looks like the Edgebox RPI200 works as a Raspberry Pi with a CM4 with any changes.

The device tree is defined on Define DT overlays as "dwc2","dr_mode=host","w1-gpio". On Define DT parameters for the default overlay. I added the parameter "enable_serial=1".

To know what DT overlay parameters I needed, i downloaded the edgebox RPI200 official image and checked the bcm2711-rpi-cm4.dtb and used the same overlays.

Once the device is restarted, you should be able to access to the /dev/ttyACM0 to read all the data from RS485 devices and /dev/ttyACM1 for RS232 devices connected through the Phoenix Connector.

Now, the device is fully functional and I would like to connect the Seeed Studio Modbus sensor collecting temperature and humitidy using the RS485 with N3uron on the EdgeBox RPI200 running on balena.

To connect the sensor to the power supply on the DIN rail the VCC+ and VCC-. The A and B cables to the RS485 A and B ports of the EdgeBox RPI200 as you can see in the image above.

Next step is to get all the data of the sensor and visualize it.

Stay tunned!