Raspberry Pi Compute Module

Hello,

We wish to flash Raspberry Pi Compute Modules (CM3+) in a production environment.

1. Can we use Etcher to flash single boards one at once?
  2. Do we need EtcherPro to flash multiple boards simultaneously?

Many Thanks.
Regards,
Tom

Hello @pform, welcome to our forums!

You can use etcher to flash one or many devices simultaneously in any environment but you’ll need to have enough available ports in your computer or complement with external hubs.

etcherPro was designed exactly for your use case, flashing many devices simultaneously at high speeds in a production environment. We’ve recently announced that we’ll be starting pre-orders on January 5th, so I’d suggest you stay tuned to the updates in this thread.

Cheers,
Nico.

Thank you @ntzovanis

I will try via your suggestion of using etcher and I will be sure to check out the thread about the etcherPro

Cheers,
Tom

I just want to pick this up again.

If I want to program “n” CM3+ boards with Etcher.
Then I would need “n” carrier boards each with a USB connection to the PC.
I presume I would need to run “rpiboot” for each board so that Etcher can detect the boards?

How do you then select multiple targets?

I am just wanting to ask, before buying more carrier boards to test out my use case.

I am keeping my eye on the EtcherPro hardware, but I need a solution ASAP.

Regards,
Tom

@pform if you’ve used Etcher to select multiple SD card targets, then flashing multiple compute modules/CM3+ boards will work in the same way. You’ll need n carrier boards to connect the boards to the PC, but one of the great features about Etcher is that it handles the flashing of the modules entirely internally, so you don’t need to run rpiboot for each board.

For example, I’ve just plugged in two Fins to my Mac and started Etcher, this is what I see (note you need to select an image before the select target button becomes available):

I hope this helps

This looks fantastic. I will buy more carrier boards and test it.

1 Like