Raspberry Pi 5G

Hi I’m looking at making my project run with 5G & GNSS Location using a raspberry pi 4. Would this HAT work?

https://thepihut.com/products/lte-cat-6-communication-hat-for-raspberry-pi

1 Like

Hello @Jake1 I asked internally if this HAT would work. It probably might work!

Having said that, why do you need to use 5G and GNSS on a Pi 4? What is the use case?

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your reply, It is for use with my camera project which i’m currently working on. The idea is that it would be mounted on the front of a moving train to live stream the footage & location.

Thanks for your support :grinning:

Thanks for sharing the use case @Jake1 now i’m connecting the dots with the other messages you participated :slight_smile:

Another question related to the hat you shared is, if there are any specific Linux kernel versions that it needs to work or any specific software needed? Could you please share this?

Thanks!

Apologies about the wait. Takes a while to get to Waveshare support!

This is the message in reply to yours @mpous:

The official OS system of Raspberry Pi is basically driver-free, and the driver descriptor can also be loaded using the following command:

sudo su sudo modprobe option sudo sh -c 'echo "2c7c 0306" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id' sudo echo 2c7c 0306 > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/generic/new_id

Will it still work with Balena?

Jake

@Jake1 i don’t see why that shouldn’t work on balenaOS!

Could you please confirm the Pi OS version that you are using?

Thanks

The Pi using is on the latest version of Pi OS.

This is the version codes of the current OS:

Kernel version: 6.6
Debian version: 12 (bookworm)

Do I need to use the instructions from this? Cellular + IoT isn't as hard as you think - balena Blog

Thank you for your help!
Jake

Hello @Jake1 you also can follow the steps from this video to setup the modem profile!

Let us know if that works!

Do you know if Quectel EC200U-EU (mPCIe) is compatible with BalenaOS? On the rpi I can configure an ECM (ethernet over usb) interface with the cellular module. The main problem is that at each boot I have to send a set of commands to the Quectel EC200-EU module and this should probably be a script to always be executed at boot.

But as someone who has several times had fully functional programs running on rpi, but when I run it in a container with BalenaOS it now always works, I would like to know if this module will work on RPI CM4 running BalenaOS.

1 Like

Hello @embedded you may need to try it. I don’t see any reasons why this shouldn’t work!

Let us know when you will test this!