Raspberry Pi 0w2 + HQ Camera Support

Hey all.
I have spend a fair bit of time struggling to get the rpi 0w2 to interact with the IMX477 camera (the raspberry PI High-Quality camera).

With raspbian its simple to power up the device and use the libcamera-* commands to get data from the sensor. This helped me eliminate hardware connections/power/peripherals as causes for this issue.

Under balena bullseye builds these commands report that there isn’t a camera detected. Any leads here would be appreciated

1 Like

Hello @mattyg

bullseye might be missing the legacy camera drivers, could you please try the same project with buster instead?

We are working in order to solve this.

Hello @mpous ! Thanks for the information.

I am trying to get things working against the new stack (libcamera*) vs the older proprietary drivers. The older ones do not permit easy control of gain or exposure in a way works from my application.

Can you suggest a base image for the raspi 0w2 that you think should be a working configuration with the new libcamera stack?

As it stands a fresh install of RasPi OS boots the new drivers without issue, and I am able to compile the new picamera2 module against it and get back images.

@mattyg I’m not sure if you saw this in the “RPI3 bullseye libcamera” thread, but @rahul-thakoor got the libcamera stack working.

For me, it is working on a raspberry pi zero 2 with an OV5647 (rpi v1) camera but not with an imx219 (rpi v2.1) yet. I am going to keep trying different dtoverlay configs.

That is really awesome to hear. I will give this a spin this week sometime.