Orange Pi devices official support request

Thanks for doing this background, you made a much better case than me.

I wonder though when some of the posts were from that you found requesting those other boards? Orange Pi Zero and Orange Pi One, and Plus 2 are already supported: (Run containers on embedded edge devices - balenaOS). Orange Pi Lite is quite a bit older, and looking at the spec in terms of performance and cost would be superseded by the Orange Pi Zero 2 so not sure how many people would go back to look at those today.

The Orange Pi Zero 2 is 64 bit which also moves it further forward in terms of future proofing and native software support (for example there is no official Node support for 32 bit Balena base images - Balena Documentation).

Orange Pi Zero 2, as you mentioned in your post supersedes the Orange Pi Zero which has been plagued with Wi-Fi issues for the community:

I would add that the Orange Pi Zero 2 also fills a bit of a gap in the market. If you look at its obvious alternative the Raspberry Pi there isn’t an equivalent, the leap from the Raspberry Pi Zero to the Raspberry PI 4 in performance is immense. Really the Raspberry Pi Zero is not a usable board anymore, it lacks the ability to connect to 5ghz wifi networks, is an older ARM version is really underpowered for the market and so forth. The Raspberry pi 1 - 3 is just an lower powered Raspberry pi 4 in terms of form factor, utility etc. And the Raspberry pi 4 is a larger more expensive board. So the Orange Pi Zero 2 really has its own class. Even if a new RPI Zero was released it would likely follow the same class as the previous RPI Zero, which I think is another good rationale for the Orange Pi Zero 2 to be supported.

Personally I intend to make the Orange Pi Zero 2 the primary recommended board for my fleets. I have been using the Orange Pi Zero in that role until now, but as it is buggy at the firmware level I am waiting the OPI Zero 2 support and treating it as a bug fix required for production.

The list could go on, OPI Zero 2 is USB-C powered as opposed to the original OPI Zero, has an aerial which in my tests has boosted wifi-range over the RPI 4, has USB ports unlike the RPI Zero etc. etc.

1 Like