Open-balena scan no results

open-balena scan no results:

Downloaded configured and logged in successfuly

balena scan yields nothing

Intel “development” image running on bare metal DELL server and can be seen from dashboard

Hi there,

Could you let us know the OS and version where you’re running the balena scan command from, and if possible could you please run it with the DEBUG=1 prefix (ie. DEBUG=1 sudo balena scan).

One other question, if you reboot the development device, and try again, does that work (this sounds potentially like it may be a known Avahi issue).

Thanks and best regards,

Heds

balenaOS 2.39.0+rev3

Supervisor Version : 10.0.3

Current release : 1c5102cc94ee0521b97dcd0c39691500159774da

DEBUG Output:

$ sudo DEBUG=1 balena scan
[debug] original argv0=“node” argv=[/usr/bin/node,/usr/bin/balena,scan] length=3
Reporting scan results
Could not find any balenaOS devices in the local network

If you need help, don’t hesitate in contacting our support forums at
https://forums.balena.io

For bug reports or feature requests, have a look at the GitHub issues or
create a new one at: https://github.com/balena-io/balena-cli/issues/

Hi again,

Did you try rebooting the device? If so, did that have any effect?

Best regards,

Heds

Rebooting did not have any effect

Thanks for clarifying.

Are you able to SSH into the device? You should be able to see all the devices connected to openBalena by running balena devices and then using the appropriate UUID and running balena device <uuid> to get the full details for a specific device.

You should be able to login via both balena ssh <uuid> and also ssh -p 22222 root@<deviceIpAddress>.

This will let us know if there is a general network issue or if it does seem to just be the Avahi instance.

Best regards,

Heds

balena device 5fea321ad9af1f37ed506f7c90095653
[debug] original argv0=“node” argv=[/usr/bin/node,/usr/bin/balena,device,5fea321ad9af1f37ed506f7c90095653] length=4
BalenaDeviceNotFound: Device not found: 5fea321ad9af1f37ed506f7c90095653
at /usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/balena-sdk/build/models/device.js:384:19
at PassThroughHandlerContext.finallyHandler (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/finally.js:57:23)
at PassThroughHandlerContext.tryCatcher (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/util.js:16:23)
at Promise._settlePromiseFromHandler (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:517:31)
at Promise._settlePromise (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:574:18)
at Promise._settlePromise0 (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:619:10)
at Promise._settlePromises (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:699:18)
at _drainQueueStep (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:138:12)
at _drainQueue (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:131:9)
at Async._drainQueues (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:147:5)
at Immediate.Async.drainQueues (/usr/lib/node_modules/balena-cli/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:17:14)
at runCallback (timers.js:810:20)
at tryOnImmediate (timers.js:768:5)
at processImmediate [as _immediateCallback] (timers.js:745:5)

If you need help, don’t hesitate in contacting our support forums at
https://forums.balena.io

For bug reports or feature requests, have a look at the GitHub issues or
create a new one at: https://github.com/balena-io/balena-cli/issues/

balena devices
[debug] original argv0=“node” argv=[/usr/bin/node,/usr/bin/balena,devices] length=3
ID UUID DEVICE NAME DEVICE TYPE APPLICATION NAME STATUS IS ONLINE SUPERVISOR VERSION OS VERSION DASHBOARD URL

Hi,

So by the looks, the device isn’t actually connected to your network, as balena devices does not list any (which is why balena device 5fea321ad9af1f37ed506f7c90095653 is not working). You said that the device was connected to the openBalena network, could you let me know how you determined this?

Best regards,

Heds

not to balena network

balena dashboard

Ubuntu VM IP: 134.141.244.137 : MASK : 255.255.255.0

Balena IP : 134.141.242.38

I think the two have to be on same subnet

Hi,

Sorry, I’m confused now. Your initial message said that open-balena scan no results: which implied you were using openBalena and not balenaCloud. Could you please clarify exactly which environment you’re using and what you’re expecting to see? Devices attached to balenaCloud will not show up in an openBalena environment, and vice versa.

Are you attaching a development device to balenaCloud, which is showing up in the dashboard, and using balena-cli logged into balenaCloud, which is not showing you any attached devices?

Best regards, Heds

I downloaded development image and flashed into USB and installed on DELL Machine as per directions

Then I opened https://dashboard.balena-cloud.com/apps/1502725/devices
I could see the new machine there. I did nothing to make it attach to balena cloud

I installed open-balena
Logged in to openbalena.local

then command >> balena scan
No result

Hi,

I think there’s some confusion here.

balenaCloud is balena’s hosted service, where you can attach devices to it and use all of the features, such as the dashboard, and GUI workflow.

openBalena is an open source, cut down version of the balena service, which is self-hosted and allows a user to essentially run their own version of balenaCloud. There is no communication at all between balenaCloud and an openBalena instance.

Devices attached to balenaCloud are completely separate from any devices on a self-hosted openBalena instance or any other balena service instance. Similarly, whilst balena-cli can be used to ‘talk’ to balenaCloud to run commands from the CLI, you can also use it to login to any balena service such as the staging environment or a self-hosted balena instance and run those commands on those instances. But once you’ve logged into an instance, it will not communicate with any other instance of the service. They are all separate.

As such, if you add a device to balenaCloud, that device is only available via balena-cli commands when it has been logged into balenaCloud. If you add a device to an openBalena self-hosted instance, that device is only available via balena-cli commands when it has been logged into that instance.

I hope that clears some things up.

Best regards,

Heds

Can you tell me how can I proceed to get an Image which doesnt connect to balena cloud?

It is exactly my aim to be locally hosted…so I started researching open-balena

I think myself downloading devices from my balena account is why the machine is connecting to balena cloud.

Please let me know the steps to get local open-balena image and how to connect it to open-balena

Hi again,

You should be able to follow the openBalena installation instructions here: https://www.balena.io/open/docs/getting-started/

In more detail, to add provision devices against openBalena, you can follow the instructions here https://www.balena.io/open/docs/getting-started/#3-Generating-the-image-file

Best regards,

Heds

wget https://files.resin.io/resinos/intel-nuc/2.41.1%2Brev1.dev/image/balena.img.zip
unzip balena.img.zip
cd open-balena/
./scripts/compose up -d
balena login
balena apps
balena app create myApp
balena apps
balena os build-config …/balena.img intel --output intel.json
balena devices
balena os configure …/balena.img --config intel.json --app myApp --version latest
balena apps
balena devices

from same image balena.img I flashed USB and installed on DELL bare metal

still no devices on balena scan

Hi,
One of our engineers says that there might be bug he undiscovered with using the balena os build-config and balena os configure process, until this gets fixed would it be possible to try the interactive way of configuring the images; i.e. balena os configure --app myApp --version latest? Essentially not passing --config to the balena os configure command.
Kind regards,
Theodor

does it " balena os configure --app myApp --version latest " cause any changes to .img file ??

Actually the system is showing no clear sign that it has booted completely.

Screen has a messages trail and last message is “”

[ OK } Started resin active root partition mount service
[ OK ] Listening on sshd.socket
[ OK ] Reached target sockets

sometimes blocks at “Starting Initialize system clock from build timestamp”