Never gets past STARTING?

Downloaded most recent version, tried two different MicroSD adapters and three different MicroSD cards. Tried running as administrator. It lets me choose the image, and choose the drive, and says its starting, but then it does absolutely nothing. I’ve tried multiple times today, leaving it alone for an hour or more with no change. Hoping someone has a fix, because this is a project for work and I need it to get moving.

Hey, I’m assuming this is trying to flash an image with etcher? Can you let me know the versions of etcher and your OS please

1.5.73, downloaded today, and Windows 10

and yes, Etcher - I just realized I posted on the wrong forum

I was able to start a flash locally with the same etcher version, could you try using ctrl+shift+i to open up the inspector and then try to run the flash and paste the logs you see

Thu Jan 30 2020 15:04:20 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time) Flash error ({“image”:“C:\Users\smcphe201\Desktop\XMT2 Repair\xmt2-latest.img.gz”,“drives”:[{“size”:15931539456,“isVirtual”:false,“enumerator”:“USBSTOR”,“logicalBlockSize”:512,“raw”:"\\.\PhysicalDrive1",“error”:null,“isReadOnly”:false,“displayName”:“D:\”,“blockSize”:512,“isSCSI”:false,“isRemovable”:true,“device”:"\\.\PhysicalDrive1",“busVersion”:“2.0”,“isSystem”:false,“busType”:“USB”,“isCard”:false,“isUSB”:true,“devicePath”:null,“mountpoints”:[{“path”:“D:\”}],“description”:“Generic- SD Card USB Device”,“isUAS”:false}],“driveCount”:1,“uuid”:“af91cafc-2cd7-4c82-ac60-8d681064b026”,“flashInstanceUuid”:“af91cafc-2cd7-4c82-ac60-8d681064b026”,“unmountOnSuccess”:true,“validateWriteOnSuccess”:true,“trim”:false,“applicationSessionUuid”:“36ad01f8-1fd9-4508-bf7e-4b9d74d3a824”,“flashingWorkflowUuid”:“2b0cd268-6cfa-49ad-a865-13dbb4f89a10”,“error”:{“name”:“Error”,“message”:“Couldn’t clean the drive, Command failed: diskpart s n (code 2147942405)”,“stack”:“Error: Couldn’t clean the drive, Command failed: diskpart s n (code 2147942405)\n at n at Generator.throw ()\n at rejected (C:\Users\smcphe201\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\resources\app.asar\node_modules\etcher-sdk\build\diskpart.js:21:65)”},“sample”:0.1})
C:\Users\smcphe201\A…js\dist\raven.js:58 Finish: 0
C:\Users\smcphe201\A…js\dist\raven.js:58 Terminating IPC server
C:\Users\smcphe201\A…js\dist\raven.js:58 Flash results
{results: {…}, cancelled: false}
C:\Users\smcphe201\A…js\dist\raven.js:58 {“stack”:“Error: The writer process ended unexpectedly\n at createError (file:///C:/Users/smcphe201/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app.asar/generated/gui.js:1113:19)\n at Object.createUserError (file:///C:/Users/smcphe201/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app.asar/generated/gui.js:1134:12)\n at Server. (file:///C:/Users/smcphe201/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app.asar/generated/gui.js:5520:30)”,“message”:“The writer process ended unexpectedly”,“description”:“Please try again, and contact the Etcher team if the problem persists”,“report”:false,“code”:“ECHILDDIED”}

Could you try the commands from https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/2812#issuecomment-498358093 as you seem to have the exact same error

My IT is limiting my access to the Diskpart function. I am unable to attempt this.

That will be the problem, etcher needs to run those diskpart commands in order to get the device into a state ready to flash

At least we know why! Thanks for your help!

C:\Users\dad\AppData…js\dist\raven.js:58 {“stack”:“Error: The writer process ended unexpectedly\n at createError (file:///C:/Users/dad/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app.asar/generated/gui.js:1113:19)\n at Object.createUserError (file:///C:/Users/dad/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app.asar/generated/gui.js:1134:12)\n at Server. (file:///C:/Users/dad/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app.asar/generated/gui.js:5520:30)\n at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:85:5)”,“message”:“The writer process ended unexpectedly”,“description”:“Please try again, and contact the Etcher team if the problem persists”,“report”:false,“code”:“ECHILDDIED”}

Hi, is the above a new error or is it still the same PC with the IT policies restricitons? Could you please provide some context?

C:\Users\dad\AppData…js\dist\raven.js:58 {“stack”:“Error: The writer process ended unexpectedly\n at createError (file:///C:/Users/dad/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app.asar/generated/gui.js:1113:19)\n at Object.createUserError (file:///C:/Users/dad/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app.asar/generated/gui.js:1134:12)\n at Server. (file:///C:/Users/dad/AppData/Local/Programs/balena-etcher/resources/app.asar/generated/gui.js:5520:30)\n at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:85:5)”,“message”:“The writer process ended unexpectedly”,“description”:“Please try again, and contact the Etcher team if the problem persists”,“report”:false,“code”:“ECHILDDIED”}

This is todays, so I would say yes. its on win10 64, Balena version 1.5. 73.0 with admin rights set. Stuck at the start.

Hi, are you now able to run the diskparts commands at https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/2812#issuecomment-498358093?

Yes I can run that with no problems. It still hung at the start on the next attempt.
-1580840306631.log (995 Bytes)

Hi, could you please provide us with the complete log? You have only provided the last part of the error.
Thanks,

-2580842339016.log (8.0 KB)

I put EPERM problem in a search engine and came across a post in the balena forum on folder permissions in update and security/ virus and threat protection/manage settings/ controlled folder access/ and then I turned that off. Balena worked straight away.

I also had the same error. It was only resolved when disabling windows defender (using up to date windows 10)

This seems like a few major issues:

1. Defender preventing the program from working
  2. It get’s stuck on starting with no failure indication (only in dev console)

I can confirm the error is not being shown and the progress bar stays on “Starting…”, Issue created on github https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/3070