Member management

We have somthing like 10 fleets with various products deployed, I’ve been trying to update a members access rights and its take far too long to achieve.

I don’t understand why the organisation → members page doesn’t give you more information regarding fleet roles.

It seems I have to go through all of the fleets, select the members menu from there and update the role.

I then have to repeat this for all fleets as I can’t see a general break down of what member has what role for the fleets we have, just their highest role!

This is completly impractical, having updated each fleet and returning to the members page, I still see highest role as Developer!
I must have missed one or more. So, I’ll have to go through all fleets again to identify which one isn’t set to observer.

Unless someone else knows a better way?

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback.

I don’t understand why the organisation → members page doesn’t give you more information regarding fleet roles.

It seems I have to go through all of the fleets, select the members menu from there and update the role.

The purpose of the organization → members page is to inform you of each user’s role in your organization itself and their highest role throughout all resources in your organization, as that is what is taken into account when calculating bills. From here you are also able to manage their memberships on the organization-level (mirroring the ability to manage user memberships for a fleet at the fleet-level).

I can’t see a general break down of what member has what role for the fleets we have, just their highest role!

This is completly impractical, having updated each fleet and returning to the members page, I still see highest role as Developer!
I must have missed one or more. So, I’ll have to go through all fleets again to identify which one isn’t set to observer.

Unless someone else knows a better way?

From organization → members, you can select a specific member and end up on their page. From there you can see all the Fleets/Apps/Blocks they are in and what role they have in each. I understand this would still require you to look at each individual member, but it takes away the fog of not knowing which roles a member has in which fleets.

Another option is to use Teams. For example, instead of assigning a user to a fleet, you can assign them to a team and then assign that team to any fleet you want them to have membership in, at which point you would also pick the role for the team. So for example if I have users A, B, and C and Team Foo, I can use the following process:

• Add A, B, and C to Foo
  • Add Foo to my Fleets X, Y, and Z with developer access role
  • Decide I don’t want A, B, and C to have developer access in any of those fleets so from the organization → teams page I can select Foo and then edit its access role across all fleets (X, Y, and Z) with one batch selection.
  • Decide I don’t want B to have access to any of those fleets at all, go to Foo and remove B, thus 1 action (remove from Foo) instead of 3 (remove from X, Y, and Z)

And of course you would be able to create multiple teams if necessary to further simplify your user access management.

I hope this is helpful, please let us know if my suggestions cover your usecase. If you need us to expand on anything, or if you have any more questions or feedback, please feel free to continue messaging in this thread and we will try to help where possible.