Losing connectivity every 24 hours

Using ResinOS 2.0.0 prod, RPi 3.

Around every 20-28 hours, the device loses connectivity. It is still functional however, just goes offline on the Resin dashboard. I use a 3g dongle to connect, but this problem also happens with Ethernet. A simple power cycle resolves this, but this will not be possible with my application in a production environment.

The only thing I can think of that may potentially cause this is that I’m disabling NetworkManager during the setup start process with this command:

DBUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/host/run/dbus/system_bus_socket \
dbus-send --system --print-reply \
    --dest=org.freedesktop.systemd1 \
    /org/freedesktop/systemd1 \
    org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager.StopUnit \
    string:"NetworkManager.service" \
    string:"fail"

I need to do this because I’m configuring an external USB wifi antenna (for broadcast). I’m not sure why that would cause any issue (especially only after 24 hours).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi @prash,

That’s a strange issue, and indeed I don’t see why disabling the network manager at startup would cause the device to lose connection after X amount of hours.

Could you make your application log the device’s connection status (and possibly other network troubleshooting checks) after a certain interval, and have that log stored in the data partition?

That way, you can leave the device running for a while, and once the issue happens, we can take out the logs from the data partition and hopefully get more information about what’s going on.