K3s on top of BalenaOS

Hi all,
Is it possible to run a k3s ob top of BalenaOS? Docker compose is nice but for more complex scenarios not sufficient. Has someone experience with that?

1 Like

Hi @Faltus.
We have users running openBalena stack on Kubernetes (you can take a look at this post) but I am not aware of someone who runs a k3s on top of openBalena.

It might be possible it’ll work, and we highly encourage you to try and let us know how it works for you.

Georgia

hi @Faltus - did you have any luck with this - I might give it a go as well :sunglasses:

@Faltus and @philT this is something I have also thought about playing around with. @Faltus can you expand a bit more on the complex scenarios you are looking at. Would love to know more about what kinda of features or functionality you feel are missing.

With docker compose I miss all features of Orchestration kubernetes provides like eg scalabity, blue green deplyments, rolling updates, backing up of data, operators, zero down time deplyments and many more

Hi @Faltus, do you have any update to share about your attempts?

I’m also thinking along this line to create a distributed network on Raspberry Pi for my final year project. And finding docker-compose limited when comes to dynamic scaling, consensus and load balancing.

If anyone else has any suggestions/recommendation please also let me know :blush:

Besides Balena Rancher, does anyone have any other project running k3s on Balena to share?

Hello @luandro i know this is a very old topic in the forums.

Did you read this K3S on Balena ?

1 Like

This seems promising: GitHub - balena-io-experimental/balena-k3s: Run a Kubernetes cluster on balenaCloud via k3s!

1 Like

Let us know if it works for you @luandro