Having issue getting public URL to work

I’m following the guide here to set up a Slack integration but having trouble getting the public URL to work.

The error I get when I load the public URL is:

We encountered an error when reaching this balena.io device:
UUID XXXXXX
tunneling socket could not be established: socket hang up
One possible reason is because nothing is listening on port 80 on the device.

I am able to access Tohora’s web UI on the local IP using port 8080. After reading through a rabbit hole of articles I still can’t seem to get this to work. It seems that I need to bind my BalenaDash app to port 80 (assuming that’s what is meant when the error says nothing is listening on 80).

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Hey Kamicrafted,

You are not able to access port 80, since it is being used by wifi-connect in balena dash. To use the port 80 you will have to remove the wifi-connect service, for that you’ll have to remove the relevant part from the docker file. Once removed, you will have map the port 8080 of WPE service to port 80 of the hostOs, you’ll need to update this line to “80:8080”.

Thank you so much for providing the solution. Unfortunately I’m still new to a lot of this and although the instructions are clear, I’m not sure how to access the docker file (I’m guessing through the console, but would you be able to point me to the file path?)

The Dockerfile is on your workstation from the source repo you downloaded from GitHub. You’d need to change the file and push to balenaCloud to make a new release and have your device pull it down :+1:

Ah! That makes sense and was painfully obvious in hindsight :sweat_smile: Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. Seriously loving BalenaOS btw, awesome work from the team!

Glad we were of help, thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

We would also love the USB-based updating, just in case there is no internet connection at a customer and we would like to update their device. Thanks

Hi,

We don’t support USB-based updates at the moment due to security issues.

byiosman987

We would also love the USB-based updating, just in case there is no internet connection at a customer and we would like to update their device. . Thanks

my issue has been fixed.