HATs for balenaFin

@Kevitto I didn’t fully understand if you were using our version of Raspbian or the standard RPi one.

In any case, since the PiSound uses the I2C interface, you will need to either use our pre-configured version of Raspbian or configure yours using the files available here.

Cheers,
Nico.

Yes, sorry. I meant to say I am using YOUR maintained version of raspbian. Specifically the one built for BalenaFin with the right dt-overlay and fixes.

@Kevitto we’ve ordered a PiSound to test it internally and provide any additional configuration steps if required. As Carlo mentioned above, the balenaFin is fully compatible with the HAT specification, so it should be a SW/configuration issue.

I’ll get back to you as soon as I have news.

Cheers,
Nico.

I… Holy crap, I seriously underestimated your team. I apologize profusely for that. That is great news! Please keep me posted on any developments, and I will be sure to follow-up!

Thank you so much,

Kevitto

1 Like

@Kevitto just to keep you posted, I got a PiSound HAT here today so will test it on the Fin v1.1 and see if we can work out what’s going on.

Hey @Kevitto, I got a chance to play with this today.

I first tried our version of Raspbian Lite for the balenaFin (available here). To get the pisound to work on this OS, I added dtoverlay=pisound to the bottom of /boot/config.txt after dtoverlay=balena-fin-updated.

I next tried the latest Raspbian Buster Lite (available here), for this I had to add dtoverlay=pisound and dtoverlay=balena-fin.

After I added these overlays the pisound-config tool reported the device information and I used speaker-test -c2 -twav -l7 to test the sound output via the 5.25mm jack on the pisound after changing the default system soundcard to pisound with the config tool.

In both cases I added the extra overlay to config.txt before installing the pisound software using curl https://blokas.io/pisound/install-pisound.sh | sh.

I hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

You guys are great! It works! Even on the original build with adding the overlay for balena-fin-updated!

Thank you so much!

Your team is amazing, and I cannot commend your responses and dedication to making the hardware work enough. I have a couple weeks of testing to do before I have a clean version of this, but if everything goes to plan, we’ll be switching to the BalenaFin!

Thanks again,

Kevitto

1 Like

@Kevitto that’s awesome, I am glad you got it working and thanks for the compliments! I hope the Fin works out for you now but you know where to find us if you hit any further issues.