Etcher v1.5.5 write of Tails img to ADATA UV128 32GB usb3 causes Win7 64b BSD

I’m following the Tails install process that uses Etcher to create a usb Linux environment on a Win7-64bit desktop.
(https://tails.boum.org/install/win/usb-download/index.en.html)

The image write proceeds to Verifying… 100%, then Blue Screens the system.

After reboot, Windows no longer detects the usb key, but Etcher does as “physical device 2”.

I’ve now done this twice with the same results.

The image downloaded from the Tails site verifies as accurate using their browser extension (Firefox 66.0.3).

This is my first time using Etcher. Any ideas/advice?

I notice when I boot with the usb key inserted I now get a full screen message early in the POST:

The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware,operating system or UEFI drivers.

Press [N] to run the next boot device, or enter directly to BIOS setup if there are no other boot devices installed.
Go to BIOS Setup > Advanced >Boot and change the current boot device into other secured boot devices.

Pressing N or escape proceeds to boot into Windows.

Does my ASUS mobo UEFI include protections against whatever methods Etcher is using to shim the boot sequence? Or is this just a simple incompatibility? I wonder if an old install of Bit Defender or other AV software could be blocking me…

SOLVED: Windoze SECURE BOOT!!! Ahrrrgggg!!

What a nasty abuse. Only “secure” Windoze boot devices are allowed to function. No Linux, nothing else. AND, naught but this cryptic message as a hint. AND, it throws a BSD when Etcher writes a bootable image!!!

How does this pass antitrust laws? We’re doomed.
Corporations are not people. They are relentless. An immortal kleptocracy.
Greed will out.

Hi there, nice to know you figured it out! Unfortunately there are some edge cases that Etcher cannot detect, bound to external tools/configs, that get in the way of flashing without explicitly giving out warnings. Anti-virus and file-protection are the most common we noticed, but as you saw there’s also some OS specific configs that can behave even worse :confused:

Hello @dann

Secure Boot will not prevent you from flashing anything to a USB drive.
A BSOD most probably means that there is an issue with some of your hardware or drivers.

About Windows not detecting your USB drive after flashing it: it is expected. Windows will not show you any partition it can’t read. I guess your USB drive has Linux filesystems on it now. You should be able to see the device itself if you right click on any hard drive, select Properties and go to the Hardware tab.