error when reaching this balena.io device: XXXXXX tunneling socket could not be established: 500 possible reason is because nothing is listening on port 80 on the device.

I found the same problem in a camera project
I had Balena dashboard configure my OS file for my Raspberri Pi Zero W with CUPS and downloaded it . However when starting Public Device URL I got the error message
error when reaching this balena.io device: XXXnumber hiddenXXX tunneling socket could not be established: 500 possible reason is because nothing is listening on port 80 on the device…
I ran a check on the dashboard all is ok.
Nothing in the log either.
Can I check the port in terminal and change it? And how?
(I’m a noob)

I found some commands to work with (amazing google) and put it in terminal
netstat -lnt | grep LISTEN | awk ‘{ print ( $4 ) }’ | awk ‘BEGIN{FS=":"} { print $(NF) }’ | sort -n | uniq
and Balena returned:
So no 80 indeed. Now I only have to know how to force it to listen on 80
The solutions I found in the forums go all way beyond my skills, and using 80 is not a very safe resolution anyway. So before going on, I will first try to setup another solution for pi/airprint outside Balena OS. Maybe I’ll be back.

Best, Ruud

By CUPS I assume you mean balenaCUPS deployed from the hub, correct? By “starting Public Device URL” you mean toggling Public Device URL in the dashboard, or opening the device URL? Also, is the cups service running (see this image)?

Yes, cups service is running. And yes, it happens when I open public device url

Hey Ruud, is the CUPS project you are using from a public repo, like balenaCups, or similar that we can take a quick look at?

Here’s the link to the balenaCups repo I’m referring to:

What I’m hoping to see is your docker-compose.yml file if your project has one. If you do have a docker-compose.yml, then I think we want to make sure you have something like the following in your service block.

ports:
      - "80"

Be very careful if sharing source code not to publish anything personal, just replace it with fake values before copying and pasting.

Take care,
Kyle

Hi Ruud,

Were you able to get this sorted out?

John

Yes I did, in a way, by starting all over again, but at the end of the day, it turned out that there was in the available printer system no driver for my printer. So I sold my laser, added € 50 and purchased another pre-used one with build-in air print support and am completely happy now. And have a redundant Pi for future projects.

Hey Ruud

there was in the available printer system no driver for my printer

would you mind sharing which printer it was?

have a redundant Pi for future projects

Do check out balenaHub for some project inspiration :slight_smile:

Thanks

A Xerox 6125

Thanks

Correct me if I’m wrong but port: 80 is used for unencrypted traffic. So, is the traffic coming from a reliable source?Take employee monitoring software for example. Try to check which process is using port 80 (you can do this in the task manager)