error on building my own generic balena image

Hello,

i am very new to the balena-os build an i am trying to build my own custom generic balena x86_64 image with the help of this page:

my steps are:

git clone https://github.com/balena-os/balena-generic
cd balena-generic/
git submodule update --init --recursive

and then running

./balena-yocto-scripts/build/barys -m genericx86-64-ext

after some time i get the following error:

ERROR: libpcre-8.44-r0 do_package_qa: QA Issue: libpcre: The install log indicates that host include and/or library paths were used.
Please check the log ‘/workspaces/yocto/2/balena-generic/build/tmp/work/core2-64-poky-linux/libpcre/8.44-r0/temp/log.do_install’ for more information. [install-host-path]
ERROR: libpcre-8.44-r0 do_package_qa: QA run found fatal errors. Please consider fixing them.
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /workspaces/yocto/2/balena-generic/build/tmp/work/core2-64-poky-linux/libpcre/8.44-r0/temp/log.do_package_qa.3485810
ERROR: Task (/workspaces/yocto/2/balena-generic/build/…/layers/poky/meta/recipes-support/libpcre/libpcre_8.44.bb:do_package_qa) failed with exit code ‘1’

Summary: 1 task failed:
/workspaces/yocto/2/balena-generic/build/…/layers/poky/meta/recipes-support/libpcre/libpcre_8.44.bb:do_package_qa
Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

so i can’t even get the normal balena-generic image building process working.
What is the Problem? Am i something missing? How can this be resolved?

Thanks

Hi, did you follow the steps in the Yocto setup? https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/brief-yoctoprojectqs/brief-yoctoprojectqs.html

From the link you mentioned:

you will first need to make sure you have a working Yocto environment setup

Yocto is the underlying technology used to build BalenaOS, and it’s BalenaOS is able to run on so many different device types.

yes i did follow it step by step.
My build system looks like this:

• Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy
  • installed packages like stated in Welcome to the Yocto Project Documentation — The Yocto Project ® 4.0.999 documentation gawk wget git-core diffstat unzip texinfo gcc-multilib build-essential chrpath socat cpio python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint3 xterm
  • also tried to run source oe-init-build-env, but error stays the same.
  • i am building in docker container

I think there is something i missed in the documentation. I am using Ubuntu 22.04, but it is not in the supported linux distributions section of the documentation. i’ll have a try with Debian Buster later this day.

1 Like

Changed my OS from Ubuntu 22.04 to Debian, compiling and image creation is now working as expected. Thanks for all the help.

Thank you for sharing the solution @SqaureRoot