Error flashing Jetson Xavier NX (emmc)

Hi,

I am trying to flash a Jetson Xavier NX (emmc) with balena-os. This is the machine I’m using: Jetson Xavier NX Industrial Fanless PC

I have rebooted the Xavier into recovery mode and connected to my host machine (I am using a Jetson Nano (Developer Kit Version) to try and flash the Xavier, and it’s running L4T 32.6.1.). I can see it appearing when I do an lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0955:7020 NVidia Corp. 

These are the steps I have followed:

git clone https://github.com/balena-os/jetson-flash.git
cd jetson-flash
./bin/cmd.js -f ../balena-cloud-dev_xavier-jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-emmc-2.88.4+rev10-v12.11.0.img -m jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-emmc -p -o ./output

This is the error message I am getting:

Error: probing the target board failed.
Make sure the target board is connected through
USB port and is in recovery mode.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi, can you share the output of lsusb -d 0955:7c18?

Scratch that, sorry, I see you already posted that.

So, 0955:7020 is the Jetson Nano, not the TX2. You need to run the command on the Host device, to which the TX2 is connected.

Thanks for the reply.

The output I posted was from the host machine itself. I was reading this: SDK Manager Not able to Flash TX2 and take it that the Xavier NX might not have been in recovery mode, but in Device mode.

I tried sudo reboot --force forced-recovery. This seems to have rebooted the Xavier NX in recovery mode. The lsusb output now has this:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0955:7e19 NVidia Corp. 

But still getting the same error:

Successfully generated hash
ODMDATA not specified, using default value set by BSP archive
###############################################################################
# L4T BSP Information:
# R32 , REVISION: 6.1
###############################################################################
./flash.sh: line 643: ./tegrarcm_v2: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Error: probing the target board failed.
       Make sure the target board is connected through 
       USB port and is in recovery mode.

Ok, can you try disconnecting the power and trying again? I have gotten that error before and unplugging/replugging the Jetson fixed the issue.

Just tried replugging, the error persists.

Ok, thanks for trying that…I will forward your comments to the OS team to see if they have any suggestions.

Thank you very much.

Jetson Nano (Developer Kit Version) to try and flash the Xavier

Hey @jayadeep, it looks like the flashing utility is only compiled for x86_64 which is why you are seeing the following error when using Jetson Nano (ARM) as the host.

tegrarcm_v2: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

I would suggest using an x86_64 workstation or something like an Intel NUC as the host for flashing unless you know of a fork where the Jetpack flashing utilities are available for ARM?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this once I get my hands on a machine and get back to you.

Thanks, @klutchell for the suggestion. We had to change the Xavier NX due to unrelated reasons and the suggestion worked fine with this one:

Jetson SUB Mini PC

Thanks again

@jayadeep,

That’s great to hear; thanks so much for following back up in this thread to let us (and anyone else reading it) know the outcome. :slight_smile: