EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open '/dev/rdisk2 on Mac pro M1

Hey I’m trying to Flash a USB stick on the new Mac pro m1 unfortunately I get this error message EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open '/ dev / rdisk2.

Hi @h2o22,

Can you tell us which version of balenaEtcher you’re using? This sounds like a permission issue. Are you running antivirus or similar that may be preventing the USB from mounting or balenaEtcher from running properly? You might also try running balenaEtcher as a root user (elevated privileges).

Let us know how you make out.

John

Hi john this is the version i’am using. -1608678893430.log (561 Bytes). No, I don’t have an antivirus program and I run it as an administrator. I have formatted Sand Disk Usb to APFS format. And etcher has full hard disk access.

Hi Elia,

When you insert the USB into your Mac, does it automount or are you able to see it? Since you’ve formatted it, it shouldn’t have anything left on it (like an auto-start app, etc.). Depending on the version of MacOS, you may need to format the device as mac os extended. What version of MacOS are you running?

John

Hi John,

when I insert the USB stick, it is activated automatically and I can see it on the desk and there is nothing left in it. My operating system is macOS Big Sur version 11.1

Hi Elia,

Have you tried running balenaEtcher with elevated privileges, for example using the terminal and running the command sudo /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher? It sounds like the lock may be caused by lack of authorization for your user, but running as root with sudo should get around that.

John

1 Like

hi John,
sudo /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher
(node:1327) Electron: Loading non-context-aware native module in renderer: ‘/Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app/generated/modules/xxhash/build/Release/hash.node’. This is deprecated, see https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397.
(node:1327) Electron: Loading non-context-aware native module in renderer: ‘/Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/Resources/app/generated/modules/@balena.io/usb/build/Release/usb_bindings.node’. This is deprecated, see https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397.
ready-to-show: 1110.811ms
Checking for update
Error: Error: net::ERR_CERT_INVALID
at SimpleURLLoaderWrapper. (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:93:6395)
at SimpleURLLoaderWrapper.emit (events.js:223:5)
{“stack”:“Error: net::ERR_CERT_INVALID\n at SimpleURLLoaderWrapper. (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:93:6395)\n at SimpleURLLoaderWrapper.emit (events.js:223:5)”,“message”:“net::ERR_CERT_INVALID”}
{“stack”:“Error: net::ERR_CERT_INVALID\n at SimpleURLLoaderWrapper. (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:93:6395)\n at SimpleURLLoaderWrapper.emit (events.js:223:5)”,“message”:“net::ERR_CERT_INVALID”}

Hi Elia,

I’m curious, is your disk mounted? That error appears to be saying that the device is busy or in use, not necessarily that you lack permissions. If it’s mounted, can you try unmounting it before flashing again?

Thanks!

just did it.

diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk5
Unmount of all volumes on disk5 was successful.

Just done it, still the same problem. Could it be because this usb was used as a bootable in the past?

I will use another usb stick and see if it works.

1 Like

I just tried a new usb stick and it worked. thank you John and thank you Jagogut for your help.

Thanks for letting us know, Elia! Did it work right off the bat or did you have to do formatting, unounting, etc.?

John

Hi John,

It did work from the bat. I didn’t have to format or unmout it. This usb stick that i used was brand new and not used.

I had the same issue.

My problem was that the USB was formatted for APFS. Erasing and formatting to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” did the trick.

2 Likes

Thank you this worked for me. I used the command line because Disk Utility just couldn’t do it.

$ sudo diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ NEWNAME /dev/disk2

This fixed my issue same problem on mac os 12.1

I am also having the same issue when trying to flash Umbrel.

I am running Mac OS 11.17.10 and the newest version of Balena.

I’ve done this flash on this micro SD card several times and never had any issues.

I’ve run it from terminal and had no luck as well.

I haven’t tried another micro SD card because I don’t have one.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Thanks, it worked for me as-well. By formatting my USB Drive (Pendrive) to ExFAT format