Device Down After Upgrading Plan

We recently upgraded from the free plan to a paid plan. Coincidentally one of our devices in the field also died and we cannot figure out why. It is unreachable via ping and balena says it’s offline, however its cell modem is still showing minimal usage.

I noticed the balena dashboard complaining that we had exceeded our limit for devices in starter fleets so I change the fleet type for some of our fleets to “microservices”. Is it possible that hitting the start fleet limit caused the device to be booted from the VPN and that something needs to be triggered for it to be welcomed back in?

Hey @loweja01 welcome to the forums and congrats on expanding your fleet!

I just wanted to chime in here to say that as a general rule, we’d never to anything to jeopardise the online status and accessibility of your devices. We understand how important it is that devices are accessible and so our architecture is designed around maintaining that. So, it would never be acceptable that changing fleet type would cause any kind of reconnection or anything like that.

That being said, if this is the behavior you experienced, it’s very undesirable and we’d like to look into it to make sure that’s not the case. Since you’ve upgraded to a paid plan, you can message us using the ‘Need help’ widget on the bottom right of the screen when you’re on the dashboard. We’ll then be able to see the device UUID and check the logs from our side to see if anything happened that could cause this.

Ah missed that widget, thank you! Also fwiw I suspect it’s not on your end…just trying to rule things out.