Custom build of balenaos v2.72.0rev+1

Hey,

I has build custom balenaos in v2.58.3 to add some custom services. All works fine. I see the recommended image for balenaFIn has been updated to v2.72.0. I try to build the image but I have some errors with the systemd-modules-load.service.

Feb 07 15:50:55 localhost systemd-modules-load[925]: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘bt8xxx’: Exec format error
Feb 07 15:50:59 localhost systemd-modules-load[1021]: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘mlan’: Exec format error
Feb 07 15:50:59 localhost systemd-modules-load[901]: Failed to insert module ‘sd8xxx’: Operation not permitted
Feb 07 15:50:59 localhost systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 07 15:50:59 localhost systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 07 15:50:59 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Based on the log, I thinks it’s a wifi driver sd8xxx is not compatible with the image build.

I found this topic sd8887-mrvl repo gone - #42 by alexgg on the forums, the prebuild version of wifi driver seems mismatched with the new kernel : 5.4.83v7

Can I have support to build correctly the balenaOS image please ?

Ben

This error occurs when I build balenaos with this variable : BALENA_STORAGE_fincm3=overlay2

When I using the default device driver for fincm3 (aufs), I don’t have this error. I needs to use overlay2 for build the image via my gitlab CI.

With the version 2.58.3, this errors don’t occurred.
Do you a have a prebuild version of wifi driver for new version kernel usable with BALENA_STORAGE_fincm3=overlay2 ?

Thanks
Ben

Hey Ben, we are still working to stabilize the wifi driver against new kernel version but it should be available soon.

In the meantime you can try adding aufs support to your target kernel while still keeping overlay2 as the default storage driver. I recently did this for the Generic x86-64 images so you can see an example here:

The above may not work if your CI system does not support aufs in the kernel at all. If this is the case, I would suggest using v2.58.3 until we get a new version of the wifi driver published in the near future that will build from source and not rely on compatible prebuilt binaries.

Hey there, if you’re still having trouble could you try again with v2.75.0+rev2 or later of the balena-raspberrypi repo? The fix was merged in this PR:

Hey thanks for your feedback. I built balena OS image v2.80.1 with BALENA_STORAGE_fincm3 = “overlay2” and it works fine. Good job. Now I am waiting for a new version of balenaos with the last version of supervisor to be able to disable cpu metrics.

Ben