Building a Balena weather station

Hi there,

thought this might be the right place to show and talk about my Balena based weather station. It is one of my biggest IoT projects so far and there were a lot of things I’ve learned, be it on the hardware or software side. On the latter, I am really glad I went for Balena. I believe the end result is a nice microservice-based architecture that does not have to hide,

All the code and docs are publically available in this repo - GitHub - hferentschik/balena-weather: Balena weather station.

I would love to hear what others think and would be thrilled if someone could reproduce the setup. Atm, it is only working for a Raspberry Pi 3, but using a Raspberry Pi 4 should be trivial. One of my next tasks might be to adjust the build templates accordingly.

–Hardy

3 Likes

Hardy,

Great build! I love what you have done with netcat in the telegraf service. I think I might do the same thing for our connector block - since it’s based on telegraf and has the logging issue.

We also have a dashboard block) based on grafana, which may interest you. :slight_smile:
Phil

Hi,

Great build!

Thanks.

I love what you have done with netcat in the telegraf service. I think I might do the same thing for our connector block - since it’s based on telegraf and has the logging issue.

+1. In fact I started out with the connector block but had issues with it and hence my efforts to get in some logging. The TIG stack is really great, but Telegraf can be really fiddly imo. In my case I started off with one of the existing examples using the TIG stack. I then made some changes to the data I’ve sent from my sensors and nothing worked. Telegraf seems to silently discard any data which does not match the configuration. The poor documentation for the various plugins does not help their either :frowning:

Once I figured out how to log via the printer processor and how to manually test via netcat and the socker listener thinks got much easier.

We also have a dashboard block) based on grafana, which may interest you. :slight_smile:

I know. hferentschik/raspberrypi3-grafana is actually build from a fork of dashboard. I needed a upgraded version of Grafana to use the JSON Datasource Plugin (allowing me to call REST API’s directly from Grafana and displaying the results, I am using it for sunset/sunrise data). It’s on my todo list to create a pull request for the dashboard component.

–Hardy

For what it’s worth, a Twitter conversation with @mpous trying to replicate - https://twitter.com/balena_io/status/1473729301644251148

–Hardy