Welcome to my attempt at taking a broken standing desk and not only fixing it, but making it smart!
Summer in Canada was in full swing and I was loving it. Working with some tunes blasting away on the stereo, nice breeze rolling through the window, crushing bugs and saving the world (if the Supervisor is the world then ok this is accurate) but, I was missing something. Sitting down was so anticlimactic to my mood, I wanted to be free, unshackled from the confines of the 18" by 16" square foam cushion (my seat, and I actually did measure it).
I started looking for a standing desk as I was substituting my desk mat with stacks of books and storage containers. I saw how much a standing desk cost and felt it wasn’t worth it to me but one day I stumbled upon a for sale listing of a broken desk for about $200 poutine pennies (Canadian dollars) that I thought would be an easy fix since the seller mentioned an error code “asf”. After looking this code up online it seemed like a simple fix, just reset the table…so I went and picked it up.
Let me introduce my new broken standing desk. It’s a dual motor, T frame base, with a white laminate top. Right when I got home I hooked up the control box to see if my $200 gamble was going to turn into a big win or a new project…I was going to follow a sequence of reset steps posted online and see if that cleared the code.
Well, the fact you’re reading a build log on this you could have guessed it did not work
So…as someone that has never under taken a hardware project like this come along for the journey of me just guessing my way to a functional standing desk that will be powered by Balena so we can do some neat things. More updates to come soon!