balenaEtcher deb repo requires payment?

So today I did my every so often routine of running `sudo apt update’ and I discovered this error from the repo:

I tried removing the repo and was going to rerun the setup script but after trying to download it via a browser I just get a white screen, using wget I get a similar error as with apt:

What’s going on here? is the repository’s https cert not being signed anymore, do I actually have to pay to use the deb repo?

2 Likes

Seems like they got too popular and Cloudsmith wants a plan upgrade!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for letting us know about this issue, we have hit some rate limits from Cloudsmith and we are addressing this to make sure the problem is resolved.

In the mean time you can manually update by downloading the release file from github and installing, for example on ubuntu the .deb then sudo dpkg -i [filename].deb. This documentation should be helpful for deb: Manual Installation but you should be able to find more information on how to do by googling ‘how to manually install deb/rpm’

1 Like

Any ETA as to when this will be fixed? I’d rather just wait but I’ve disabled the repo in my repository for now so it does not error up. I can re-enable it when it’s fixed.

Hi @doug0915, The Cloudsmith account was upgraded last night so you should be able to update from the repo again. Let us know if you have any more issues :blush:

1 Like

Hi.
It’s nice again for me, this morning.
Thanks very much.

Glad to hear it! Let us know if you need further assistance.

Hello,
sorry but the issue is back again :
https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/balena/etcher/deb/ubuntu/dists/focal/InRelease
402 Payment Required [IP: 99.86.94.14 443]”

1 Like

Hi @latruffe,
Thanks for letting us know, we had a call with Cloudsmith yesterday and our limit has now increased significantly more so you should hopefully be able to update Etcher again. Let us know if you have any further problems :blush:

3 Likes

Indeed,
I can add back Cloudsmith repository for apt updates without error.
Pb solved.
Thanks again.

1 Like

@Lizzieepton @vipulgupta2048 This same problem is happening again. Can you help?

1 Like

Hello,
Etcher reached the limit of available bandwidth.
This will be solve automatically in ~20h.

2 Likes

OK I’ll check again after that. Thanks!

We’ve been able to fix it with cloudsmith support (big thanks to them)

Everything should be back as normal, and we’re looking for a more permanent solution.

2 Likes

Hello,

We’re moving out of Cloudsmith as continuing to host the package there would be too costly for us.

We’re very thankful for the service and help CloudSmith provided, and would recommend their product for smaller open-source apps and private packages anytime!

At the moment we don’t have the bandwidth (pun intended) to set up an alternative repository but might be moving to self-hosted (probably CloudFlare) in the upcoming weeks.

So sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Note that you can always get a .deb and .rpm package in the release section of the GitHub repository.

1 Like

This issue is back for me as of this morning.