balenaDash - Turn off HDMI display

Hi, This may be a noob question, but I have not found an answer on forums or otherwise. I have upgraded a few of my Photo Frames to use balenaDash. I have used the Backlight scheduler to turn off Pi 7" screen successfully. However I have a 2 other that use HDMI connected monitors. In the past I have used tvservice to make this happen. I cannot however find a way to do this on balenaDash.

Any help or pointing tin right direction will be much appreciated.

@JediJah hey there and welcome to the forums! You could actually help with the project here!

There has been an open PR that adds this functionality on the repo for a while, we just haven’t had a chance to test it and merge yet. If you could test it and give it a review, I think you’ll get the functionality you want, and we’ll be able to get it merged and added to the main project too.

Here’s the open PR: https://github.com/balena-io-projects/balena-dash/pull/45

So I finally had so time to test this. I tested on 2 monitors (Old Laptop screen w/ driver board, Asus monitor) and a 4K TV. I was unable to get it to turn off the display.

Hi @JediJah

Thanks for your feedback! Can we ask you, though, to post the details of what you have tried and the results as a comment on the PR? That will be the best way to help us get the PR finalized.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards
Alida

Hi,
Has this been added to the main project? :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it seems no. I haven’t got a clue how to test or change it myself or I’d happily try, since that’s about the only functionality the photo screen is lacking for me to seriously use it.

Can someone more knowledgeable give me a pointer or two, and get me started?