Balena rpiplay does not play

Hello, all the best for 2022!

I just purchased a raspberry 4 pi to use with Balena rpi-play. Downloading and flash (with Etcher ofcourse) goes fine. Setup also, Air-Pi-Play@1b6479f appears at my iPhone. unfortunately mirror or airplay using AppleTV or the photo app does not work. After a while:

AirPlay
Geen verbinding mogelijk met ’ Air-Pi-Play@1b6479f.

Which means ’ no connection possible’ . The iPhone is on the same WiFi network as the raspberry 4.

Just in case, i flash another time which not helped (the device id changed).

All suggestions are welcome.

Hi there!

I will ping the maintainer of the project to see if he has encountered this issue before. But to help him out, lets try to get as much useful information as possible -

• what iphone version / ios version are you using
  • Are you using the open fleet from balenaHub or are you maintaining your own fleet?
  • The rpi4 is connected to a HDMI display is this correct? What is being displayed on the screen?
  • Are there any other details that may be useful?

Thanks, and all the best for 2022 for you too :slight_smile:

Dear Ryan,

Thanks for the reaction.

It is a iPhone XS running the most recent IOS 15 (15.2)

From the hub I couldn’t get it right so I used the rpi play image.

Yes, the rpi4 is connected directly to the monitor. It is displaying a logo. No error messages, seems a ’ operational mode’ .

Other details, don’t know. The rpi play is shown. Everything seems fine till the last step: connecting. The phone sound goes off so that seems a good step but after a while it stops trying.

Best regards,

Vincent

Hello Vincent,

From the hub I couldn’t get it right so I used the rpi play image

If I understand correctly, you have your own fleet? That is you have acces to balenaCloud .
Do you see any errors in the logs in balenaCloud dashboard?

The rpi play is shown. Everything seems fine till the last step: connecting.

Can you see a device on your iphone? Are you using screen mirroring from the control center? Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror the screen of your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

No, this PI is not used in a fleet.

The iPhone shows the PI as described but does not connect.

Best regards,

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

Do you see any logs/error messages in balenaCloud dashboard when trying to connect?

It will help debug the issue.

Thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately there are no errors visible and it’s the pi is not in the balena cloud/ fleet. Is there a way I can get some log files visible?

Best regards,

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

If you want to see logs, you will have to create your own fleet and then add the device there!

You can read more here

You can sign up on balenaCloud, then use the “Deploy with Balena” button to easily create your fleet with the software. You will need to add a device and reflash your current one.

Hello everyone,

Without any changes, sync works. I can see this message also on my TV now. However, streaming video doesn’t work. No Apple TV, no 3rd party app. The iPhone is connected but no audio or video. Only the menubar is displayed on the TV. Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Vincent

I have the same issue the only thing on the screen is the words BalenaOS followed by booted. I have installed RPIPLay using pikiss on a raspberry piOS and it works fine, its just anything I do (balena-sound etc does not work with Balena OS on a pi4

Hey! I’m having similar and also other issues with my Pi4. I’m able to connect via my MacBook and on both my device and on Balena dashboard it saids it’s connected but I only get the green balena logo with white background on the display.

On the dashboard I get the following:rpiplay Connection closed for socket 15
rpiplay Destroying connection
rpiplay Connection closed for socket 17
rpiplay Destroying connection
rpiplay Accepted IPv4 client on socket 15
rpiplay Local: 192.168.#.##
rpiplay Remote: 192.168.#.##
rpiplay Accepted IPv4 client on socket 17
rpiplay Local: 192.168.#.##
rpiplay Remote: 192.168.#.##
rpiplay raop_rtp_mirror starting mirroring

(I removed the full IP address).

I have my Mac extending the screen and I’m able to move windows and my cursor over to the side where this display should be but nothing but the Balena logo on my display - have also tried with mirroring but still nothing.

However when I try from my iPad Pro that’s on the same network I get the same report from Balena dashboard (but with the iPads IP address) but it doesn’t even try to send the video over (like when watching a video of YouTube, normally the video window on the iPad goes black and then displays on the AirPlay display but no luck.

After rebooting it a few times and watching the Logs closer I’m getting the following:
rpiplay Air-Pi-Play v0.3.0 powered by RpiPlay
rpiplay Device is discoverable as Air-Pi-Play@4b3b1ca
rpiplay Using low-latency mode
rpiplay Initialized server socket(s)
rpiplay *** WARNING *** The program ‘rpiplay’ uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
rpiplay *** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
rpiplay *** WARNING *** For more information see http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/avahi-compat.html

So, how do I fix this? Sorry if this is obvious, fairly new to Balena (had a nightmare trying to get BalenaSound to work, had to put that aside for a bit).