Adding kernel boot parameters.

I found this old thread about adding boot parameters via the dashboard. The thread ends with a note saying the feature request has been opened. I’m curious if it was ever implemented, and if so, what variable or custom configuration value is used to add a boot parameter?

If the option to set a boot parameter via dashboard variables was never implemented, can you tell me what the “supported” way to add them might be? I tried adding extra_os_cmdline=“i915.modeset=0” to the grub_extraenv file and that does not seem to work. I found I can manually edit the /mnt/boot/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg and that works, but I doubt that will survive an OS upgrade.

Hi, thanks for reaching out. BalenaOS does not support adding custom kernel command line configuration variables at this time. You are right that there is a feature request opened, and some specific use cases we have identified were this might be valuable.
However, for most use cases we have found there are workarounds we can suggest. For example, in your case have you tried to load the i915 kernel from the user application so you can pass the arguments to it?
You might need to unload it first if it’s running automatically, and that might require something like:

• stop plymouth with Dbus before graphics driver is used
  • possibly disable virtual console echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bind
  • rmmod {driver} / modprobe -r {driver}
  • modprobe {driver} … (new settings)