Which versions of ModemManager and NetworkManager does BalenaOS runs?

Hey guys.
I want to try BelenaOS on my pi, but I was wondering if my old 3g modem is going to be supported.

Is there anywhere where I can look up the versions of the ModemManager and NetworkManager without having to test the OS myself?

Or at least I want to know if its possible to upgrade it if its not the version I needed, but since BalenaOS is read-only, I don’t think its possible.

I tested on raspbian and the modem does not work on a old ModemManager version, while it does on my Debian which has a newer version. So I dont want to flash BalenaOS on my pi and then discover I cant use my modem on it.

Hello @lucaswxp welcome to the balena forums!

These are the known tested modems on balena Network Setup on balenaOS 2.x - Balena Documentation

Could you please tell us mode details about your old 3g modem.

Here is the list of ModemManager supported devices list but some of them have problems due the usb_modeswitch.

On the other hand, at the balena IoT Happy Hour we were connecting live a cellular modem. Find here the instructions that we followed just to see if this can help you.

Let us know if this works for you.

Hi @mpous
Okay, I understand. Thank you for your reply.

I have a Electroson E31 modem, I tested it under debian and ModemManager is able to connect to it with no problems, but under Raspbian it does not work for instance.

The only difference I noticed is that Raspian and Debian uses a different ModemManager version. That’s why I’m interested to know which version BalenaOS uses as of today, or at least if I can compile/upgrade a different ModemManager version into it if I need to.

Currently ModemManager is at version 1.14.2 in balenaOS.

1 Like

Hi,

I would to like to add to what @mpous said, that ModemManager isn’t the only package where versioning matters.
I’ve had a 3G modem (can’t remember which one), where the issue was the version of usb-modeswitch-data, manually updating that package helped to get that modem working.

1 Like

Nice @TJvV thanks for explaining this!

Thank you @alanb128 and @TJvV.

In my case I checked and modeswitch-data was changing the usb to modem mode correctly, at least on raspbian.

Actually there is another possibility, since ModemManager uses qmi_wwan driver, which comes into the Linux kernel itself, there is a chance the problem lies into the kernel driver version.

But the mm version @alanb128 said 1.14.2 looks good! Will try that.

Thank you guys.

You’re welcome @lucaswxp - please do follow up here and let us know how it works out.

It worked guys!

For anyone wanting to configure the modem, that’s what I did:

1. ssh into the machine
  2. nmcli dev it should show disconnected
  3. create a Networkmanager connection with: nmcli connection edit type gsm con-name "3gcon". This should enter interactive mode
  4. All I had to do here is set gsm.apn gprs.oi.com.br, set gsm.username usr and , set gsm.password pass, then save to save the connection

You can do it without interactive mode, but I didn’t need to.

That’s it! I now have a modem connected! Thanks again.

1 Like

Thank you @lucaswxp for confirming that it works and explain the step-by-step! Good job!

Please take that list with a grain of salt!

I wrote most of that list almost 10 years ago now, when MM 1.0 was going to be released. Most of the newest modems we have now aren’t included in the list, even if they are properly supported :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Do these releases follow other distributions? Or does balenaOS keep its own release cycle and MM packaging? If the latter, please understand that 1.14.x is no longer supported by upstream (current stable is 1.16.x, but 1.18.0 will happen anytime soon now); and also please note that 1.14.2 is not even the last stable update in the 1.14.x branch, last release in that branch was 1.14.12.

Hi @aleksander0m, for ModemManager we upgrade releases when a user requires new releases rather than following other distributions

Well, then my suggestion is to follow the upstream stable releases. Keeping an arbitrary old version until someone complains is not a good approach.

@mpous ModemManager should be updated… the included version with balenaOS is now about a year old… not sure why it’s not user upgradable.

@danedwards_ee we’re planning to upgrade ModemManager in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! Is this something that I would be able to do for testing purposes? or get a prioritization?

@danedwards_ee actually the task to update the ModemManager of the balenaOS is scheduled to be on production during the current development cycle. We will keep you posted!

Is there any way at all possible to get ModemManager updated in balenaOS or are we at the peril of the balena team for updates?

What version of ModemManager do you need @danedwards_ee ? What is the feature that you need from newer versions?

For ModemManager we upgrade releases when a user requires new releases rather than following other distributions. As we mentioned before we are going to update the version during this cycle (expect to happen in some weeks).

Actually I run mmcli -B and my version is 1.20.6 in Raspberry Pi 4 on the latest balenaOS version.