Vizi-AI balena image

As the title suggests, I am not able to find any image on balena cloud for my Vizi-AI, it seems to me that it doesn’t have any official support? It should work as the blog post below suggests but I am not able to find a suitable image however.

https://goto50.ai/industrial-strength-iot-using-the-vizi-ai-on-balenacloud/

I am specifically trying to get balena OS to work and make it show up on my dashboard, balena doesn’t list Vizi-AI on supported devices though?

Hello @JoaLin thank you for writing your issue here. Welcome to the forums and great to hear that you are using a Vizi-AI.

The image for the Vizi-AI should be a Generic x86_64. Did you try with that one?

Following instructions from the link you shared it says:

... create an ‘Application’, add a device to your Application, download an OS, flash the OS to a USB stick, and boot your iPi from USB.  It will install balenaOS to the eMMC (warning – anything you have on the iPi eMMC will be overwritten!), and provision itself up to your balenaCloud account.  

Let us know if this works for you.

I come to some login screen, I feel like that it is not supposed to happen.

Hi @joalin

At which step in the process do you encounter the login screen, and which login credentials are being requested? Can you perhaps paste a screenshot of the login screen that you encounter here, so that we can evaluate whether it is expected? Just be sure to remove any personal/private information from the screenshot first, since this is a public forum.

Kind regards
Alida

Just wanted to follow up quickly @Joakim…were you able to get this board running using the genericx86_64 balenaCloud image file?

I got to this login screen, it seems to me that balena OS is booting fine, the problem is that it never shows up in the dashboard.

It just ask for login and password, never specifies for what. I did try with my balena account but that did not work.

Hi, can you please share a screenshot of what login screen you are seeing?

@JoaLin could you please confirm what code did you deploy to the application? on the other hand, could you please confirm that on balenaCloud everything looks good and the device is online? Thanks!

No code as of yet, as previously mentioned it wont show up on the dashboard itself.

ok @JoaLin now i understand! If it doesn’t appear on the balenaCloud dashboard probably it’s because there is a network problem and now i understand why there is a IPv6: ADDRCONF error.

How are you connecting the Vizi-AI to the Internet? Ethernet cable? WiFi?

I have tried with both, I don’t think it should be a problem because it worked just fine with nvidia jetson and coral dev board for example. Both with WiFi and ethernet, only have had any real problems with this Vizi-AI so far.
I wonder if it might have anything to do with being a generic image perhaps?

That’s odd @JoaLin I don’t have a Vizi-AI but @dtischler has one. Let’s see if next week he can help you to debug your issue with the connectivity.

It works with the generic image. You can watch one of the IoT Happy Hour episodes where David showcases how to connect the Vizi-AI to balenaCloud.

Let me know if that works!

I get to the same login screen as the video describes, the problem seems to be that it never actually writes to eMMC. It never actually shuts down.

Could you please explain the process that you are following step by step?

Thanks

1. Download generic X86 Image
  2. Write to USB with etcher.
  3. Put it in my Vizi-AI.
  4. Start the system

I checked that video you mentioned earlier, it seems to boot fine but never finishes with writing to the internal memory if that what it is happening.

@JoaLin when you get into the login, did you pull out the USB and restart the device?

Hi @JoaLin, a few other notes to think about on this one. First and foremost, let’s make sure you are going through the balenaCloud workflow, as opposed to downloading a “bare” or “unmanaged” version of balenaOS. Start by logging into your balenaCloud account, and creating a new Application. Choose “genericx86-64” as the default device type. Then add a device. On that modal, enter your WiFi credentials, and click “Download balenaOS”. That image file is what you will flash to USB stick.

Next, insert the USB stick into ViZi-AI, and power it on. Make sure you have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard hooked up to it. Press “Delete” on the keyboard just as the device powers on, to enter the UEFI BIOS. Navigate to the Boot options and choose to boot from the USB stick.

The device will boot from USB, and admittedly there is no status or user feedback, we could improve this part of the process…but it will begin copying the contents of the USB stick to the onboard eMMC. After about 5 minutes, it will automatically shut down. That indicates the process has completed.

Remove the USB stick, and power the board back on.

SPECIAL NOTE: The ViZi-AI does not have onboard WiFi. You have to use a USB WiFi adapter. Or, plug in an ethernet cable. After the board boots up, within another minute, you should see it appear in the balenaCloud dashboard.

Hello, reaching back. To help you out better, please do explain the process that you followed. Thanks!

I followed the process described above, it is supposed to shutdown after around 5 minutes. The problem is that it never does that. I am basically stuck on that login screen.