Upgrading Custom Host OS with OpenBalena

Hi,

What is the current status of custom Host OS upgrade in OpenBalena?

Most threads indicate that upgrading from a custom host OS is on the roadmap but not yet supported in OpenBalena.

I have seen this one stating that OS updates (not necessarily custom?) are possible but not using the dashboard (Mar 19): Roadmap for BalenaOS Updates in OpenBalena

And this one stating that Host OS upgrade is not supported (later in Sept 19): OS Upgrade in OpenBalena

So can the Host OS be upgraded using OpenBalena, and if so can it also be done using custom Host OS builds?

Thanks for any hints

Hi @travelina

We do not support Host OS upgrades in openBalena yet, so this is unfortunately not possible at this stage.

Kind regards
Alida

Hi Alida,

Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean that the upgrade described at the following link is no longer possible?

Many thanks

Hi there, I can see that there is some inconsistency in the statements the balena team have made on this subject. As far as I know, we don’t support Host OS updates as a core feature in openBalena, but it is possible (although in a unsupported way) by running a number of sub-commands on the Host. I’ll ask the team and find out what the exact situation is.

1 Like