Trouble running the getting started example for balena-engine v17.12.0

Hello there,

I am trying to run the example on the docs section for balena-engine on my Ubuntu Desktop 19.04. I am using version 17.12.0 of balena-engine. I am able to run sudo balena-engine pull resin/rpi-raspbian:jessie fine, but when I run sudo balena-engine run -it --rm resin/rpi-raspbian:jessie /bin/bash I hit the following error: standard_init_linux.go:195: exec user process caused "exec format error". I have googled the error message and it seems to be related to a processor architecture mismatch in the image vs the native running host “armv32/64 vs x86_64” in docker/moby itself. This makes sense to me, however I was wondering if there was a way to run a raspberry-pi image/container on my x86_64 system. Would setting up a virtual machine using the balenaOS be the answer? Are there x86_64 emulated raspberry-pi images but out by balena? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Michael Harris

Hi, would you rather run the Qemu machine on your computer? We offer the choice of 2 qemu machines (32 bits and 64 bits) that users can start up and run on their development machines. Do you have a special need to run the rpi base images?