The balena ADS-B Thread

Hi @rjwelling,

Thanks for reaching out!

To ensure stability and compatibility and stability across the different platforms, the various feeders are set to specific versions in the balena-ads-b project. I check the feeders regularly for updates and then update the project repository accordingly. To update, you simply redeploy the project to the existing device. All settings specified in the environment variables are preserved.

I have not had time to update FlightAware to 6.0 yet but will do ASAP and let you know here. If you are on the balena-ads-b mailing list, you will also be notified there.

Kind regards,
Ketil

1 Like

Hi @rjwelling,

I just wanted to let you know that balena-ads-b has been updated to include the latest version of the FlightAware (SkyAware) tools. To update, redeploy the codebase to your existing device using the blue button, or using balena push from the command line. Enjoy!

Kind regards,
Ketil

1 Like

Quick question, hopefully, I see you folks support both SD based Jetson Nanos, but not the emmc based model. It looks like Balena OS gives me an option to create the balena ADS-B instance for the Jetson Nano emmc. Is there anything preventing it from working or should I just give it a whirl? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jason0x21,

Thanks for reaching out! The list of supported devices is not necessarily complete. It only includes devices that have been tested and confirmed to work. It’s great if you can try to deploy it to your Jetson device and check if it works out of the box. If not, it might be possible to get it to work. If you make an attempt, let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Ketil

2 Likes

Actually it looks like I did have an SD card (a tiny, hard to find one), so I’m up and running! I’ll see about integrating it into the system when the PoE card gets here. Thanks!

1 Like

Awesome @jason0x21! That’s great to hear. Let us know if you have any questions. Enjoy your flight feeding! :blush:

1 Like

Hi - new to Balena and trying to build first ads-b box. However it fails at Kiosk;
[Info] Still Working…
[Error] Some services failed to build:
[Error] Service: kiosk
[Error] Error: The command ‘/bin/sh -c go build’ returned a non-zero code: 1
[Info] Built on arm02
[Error] Not deploying release.
Remote build failed

I read that Kiosk isn’t a necessity, in which case how to exclude from the build phase?

Pi4b 4GB headless

Thanks

Sorted - commented out Kiosk service lines from docker compose… Now feeding on all services.

Thanks for an amazing build!

1 Like

Hi @rtype23,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I’m glad you were able to work around it. This sounds like a broken upstream dependency. I will have a look as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Hi again, @rtype23,

The issue was caused by a change in one of the upstream dependencies. It has now been resolved. Happy flight tracking!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Ketil

Looking forward to see a public repo to test very soon :wink:

hi,

I would like to go with this project. I have already installed Raspberry PI OS on my SD Card. Shall I need to remove it before starting this project with Balena OS

Hi @mpous,

The repo is publicly available here: GitHub - ketilmo/balena-ads-b: ADS-B Flight Tracker running on balena with support for FlightAware, Flightradar24, PlaneFinder, OpenSky Network, RadarBox and ADSB Exchange.

2 Likes

Hi @sadeedp,

The balena install process will format your SD card and install all the required services automatically for you. If you have a spare SD card, you can flash balena on that and keep the old one for backup purposes.

2 Likes

You rock @Ketil :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Ketil for the info.

1 Like

Hi Ketil,

please see the screenshot, it take almost one day to download the services, but still 3 of them pending… is this a normal thing or any issue of my wifi connection…

I followed the procedure according to “Deploy with balena” switch ONLY, not go for the “Or” option… is it OK

Another thing, can I share my laptop internet through ethernet cable w/o a direct connection from router? if can how it possible

Awaiting your feedback

thanks…

Hi @sadeedp,

When the containers take a long time to download, it’s usually an indicator of either a slow or unstable internet connection, or you might be located physically far away from the servers – or a combination of these factors. If your wifi is flaky, you might attempt bringing the Pi to somewhere (a different location if necessary) you can connect it to the Internet with an ethernet cable.

I have not attempted to relay internet from a laptop to the Pi through ethernet, so I don’t have a good recipe for you here.

The good news is that when the Pi has managed to download the containers, it will not download any containers again before you explicitly ask it to do so – if you want to update the software, etc.

When your device is done downloading, you can proceed to Part 3 of the instructions, and the configuration of the different services.

Best of luck with the setup. Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Thanks,
again… why the status not change to “running” for some of the containers which already downloaded in the image…

Hey @sadeedp,

Most of the images depend on the dump1090-fa-service, and will not start before it is running.

The wifi-connect service is an exception as it’s a standalone service.