Testing migration tool

I’d like to try out the migration tool for moving existing remote RaspberryPi’s (3B+) to balenaOS. https://github.com/balena-io-playground/balena-migrate suggests I should ask here…

Hi Steve, thanks for reaching out on the forums. Unfortunately the two chaps with the most knowledge on the migration tool are out on leave until Monday, so they might take a little bit of time to get back to you, but I think in the meantime it might be worth detailing your current OS setup, i.e. is it running raspbian, how does it connect to the internet (cellular/wifi?) and would it require migrating specific data and configuration like wifi configuration, since it might be switching networkmanagers.

I’ve PM’d @shaunmulligan but perhaps one of the ‘two chaps’ mentioned are back in now who can help?

Hi Steve, could you share that information here?

Hi Steve, I responded to you in private. Currently the migrate project you point to is not maintained and is deprecated, We are working with some users/customers to develop the new version of this, so would be great to bring you into that testing too. Thanks for the patiences on this!

1 Like

@chrisys @shaunmulligan I’d also like to migrate some RaspberryPi’s 3B+ from Raspbian 10 to balenaOS (2.80.3+rev1 64bits). Should I try GitHub - balena-io-playground/balena-migrate: DEPRECATED: Migrate Linux devices to Balena OS remotely or is there any newer tool?

Thanks in advance

@borodiliz Thanks for reporting in and using balena! Unfortunately, that migration tool is no longer maintained. Are you migrating devices out of curiosity? Using openbalena? Testing out something commercial? Let us know and we can try and find you some specific resources or help!

@andrewnhem

Yes, it’s a comercial application, we are using BalenaCloud (starter plan at this point, moving to Prototype in a couple of weeks).
We have successfully migrated our application from Raspbian to docker/balena, for new orders we plan to use balena, but we would also like to migrate some Raspbian installed worldwide to balenaOS.

@borodiliz I’m reaching the end of my support shift here, but I’ve reached out to our Customer Success team to see if anyone can help you with your Raspbian → balena migration. Thanks for continuing to try us out for your IoT fleet management needs. We’ll get in touch with you soon.

1 Like