startx on coral dev board

Hi guys,

I’m working on a project on the coral dev board which uses a camera and display screen connected on hdmi.
I tried to start x following the samples in the nodejs electron project however I’m getting is the following error:

hostname: No address associated with hostname
xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name “93e90a9:0” in “add” command

The project though works fine on RPi3.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @amenychtas! Welcome to the forums.
We are very excited you are using Balena on the coral dev board!
You can read here how to get started with Google Coral Dev Board and Node.js. This is the guide you are trying to follow?

I’ve done some research on the error and here is a workaround proposed from one of my colleagues a while ago. It seems there is no permanent solution yet, but we are working in this direction.

Could you please follow these steps and let us know how it works for you?
Georgia

I’m sorry @amenychtas, on my previous message I attached this workaround but I’ve found out that it only applies to RPi devices.
Could you please give me more info about the project you are building?
Thanks

Hi @georgiats,

We finally managed to make it work :slight_smile:
The problem was, when starting the python application after startx (as in the electronjs example) couldn’t find the installed python modules. See below the respective line from the start.sh file:
startx /usr/bin/python3 main.py

The solution was not to use the base image with the python preinstalled (debian-python:3.7-buster) but the basic one (debian:buster) and installing python3 in the dockerfile.

Regarding the project, you may find more info in this publication.

Best,
Andreas

So glad to hear it worked @amenychtas!
Let me know if you need any further help!
Georgia