Ssh to balenaos failed

Balenaos successfully installed onn DELL machine and the installation shows in balena dashboard

using balena cli I tried doing ssh

gh_viveksaxena2020@ssh.balena-devices.com: Permission denied (publickey).

Before trying I copied newly generated public key into preferences section of dashboard.
I repeated everything but still same error

Hi, how are you trying to ssh over the device?

What is the DELL machine you installed balenaOS on? It would be nice to know in case it’s a device-type we don’t support atm.
Also as a side note: you won’t be able to access the HostOS with the CLI; you’ll only be able to ssh into the application container(s), which don’t relate to the key added in the dashboard.

regarding : “”"" You won’t be able to access the HostOS with the CLI; you’ll only be able to ssh into the application container(s), which don’t relate to the key added in the dashboard""""

If above is true then what does this command do ?

balena ssh

Sorry I was mixing things up: you can indeed log into the HostOS as well by using the -s flag as shown here in the docs, which was also why I asked how you’re trying to connect to the device in the first place, so my bad for creating confusion there.
I would still like to know though in order to properly dig into the issue:

1. How you’re connecting to the device
  2. What is the DELL machine you’ve installed balenaOS on

and also to be a bit more specific:

1. Which version of balenaOS
  2. Which version of the supervisor

Thanks in advance!

HOST OS VERSION : balenaOS 2.39.0+rev3

SUPERVISOR VERSION : 10.0.3

DELL OptiPlex 330 Intel mahine

I am connecting through Ubuntu 18.04 running on VirtualBox and also through PuTTy on Windows…I created ssh-key from the two machines and added them to SSH-KEYS section in preferences on dashboard.

Ok so making clear I understand what you are trying… You run balenaOS on the Dell “bare-metal”?

true

please tell me if balenaOS supports this and how can I solve this issue

I myself have never encountered this kind of use-case but since you have it showing up in the dashboard that does not seem like it’s the issue here :slight_smile:

Are you using the same account you used for provisioning the device to do the balena ssh ? Usually that should work…

I used same account to download IMG file to install on DELL

Can you connect through the Dashboard terminal?

yes

tried everything I could but ssh from my laptop into balena isnt working

Hi again,

Sorry to hear you’re still having issues. Could you please post the full CLI you’re using to attempt to SSH into the device? Also, could you do this by prepending the command line with DEBUG=1 (eg. so your command looks something like DEBUG=1 balena ssh…). Additionally, it might help to have the full dashboard URL for the device in question.

This might be able to help us track down what is occurring, especially as you can SSH in via the dashboard. It sounds potentially like there’s an issue with authentication post-login via balena-cli.

Best regards,

Heds