RAM usage keeps increasing on server

Hey,

I haven’t had problems for the past 3 days on my OpenBalena installed on a DigitalOcean droplet with 2GB of RAM.
But the RAM usage has kept increasing since the server’s last shutdown.
This server is running OpenBalena, and a small cron job every 15 minutes. Nothing else. So I’m pretty sure it’s OpenBalena that’s slowly eating the RAM.

Here is a screenshot of HTOP. Is looks like the VPN is the most RAM hungry ?

Since it is running NodeJS, and NodeJS has a garbage collector, I thought it would increase for a time, then clear up suddenly, (like it did once, a few days ago (see chart below). But it hasn’t “cleared” ever since.

Below a screenshot of the DigitalOcean dashboard, last 7 days.
Do I need to worry about this ? Is something configured wrongly ?
I won’t want to have to keep increasing the amount of RAM on my server if it can run fine with less.

The other metrics are fine. The disk had a spike when the RAM got cleared by 40%, which might be normal.

Right now, I’ll restart the server to apply some updated, so it will go back to normal for a while. But I’m sure it will start to increase again.

Thank you for your answers.

EDIT: the sudden drop in Memory and increase in Disk must have been due to a restart. It looks about the same on the chart when I restarted it a minute ago.

Hi,

I believe this will be dependent on the number of devices connecting to the openBalena instance. I know that the VPN component is one of our more memory hungry services, but the memory use should flatten out with a constant number of devices. I’ve been told by the openBalena team that a 2GB memory assignment should be fine, so could you please let us know if this continues to grow and doesn’t level out?

Best regards,

Heds

Hey,

Well It may have been a year, but at least I’m glad to report the memory usage is “stable”.
It periodically goes from ~28% to ~73%, then back down and up it goes.

My installation has been running non stop for more than a year without any issues, so that’s great. Thanks for the good coding I guess :smile:

The DigitalOcean specs if anyone is interrested:
Shared CPU | 1 vCPU | 2 GB RAM | 25 GB SSD

Tim

2 Likes