Preloading Images with Application - Still requires registering!?

Hi,

we are using Resin.io in production and are currently trying to improve device provisioning.

There is a great blogpost about automated provisioning and preloading containers on the blog - https://resin.io/blog/preloaded-containers/ - and we are already using the resin-image-preload-script to pre-load an application.

Everything works fine but I still have a question since somethings is a bit different from how it is described in the blog post - the post says:

Our supervisor now supports running a preloaded application before registering with the resin.io API. This means your devices can be provisioned with an application’s code loaded up and ready to go on the very first boot. Saving you bandwidth and time in the factory, and in an extreme case even allowing your device to function without ever been connected to the Internet.

However our pre-loaded images still need access to the internet - and to resin.io. Without connection to the internet the device won’t start the application. With a connection to the internet the device registers itself on the resin.io registry / dashboard and the application is starting immediately.

Pre-loading still allows us to save time during production but it would be even better if it would behave like written in the blogpost - so - that the application starts without the device ever been connected to the internet.

This means your devices can be provisioned with an application’s code loaded up and ready to go on the very first boot.

Unfortunately this is not the case - which is a pity since it would save quite some amount of time during production.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Simon

PS.: I have filed an issue: https://github.com/resin-io/resin-preload-image-script/issues/34

Hey Simon, thanks for the feedback, @jhermsmeier is looking into this! :dark_sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey @imrehg! No problem, you’re welcome!

Unfortunately it turned out to be a bug with current version of the supervisor. See this answer to Github Issue:

@KemperVreden @jhermsmeier @alexandrosm sorry, this is most likely the bug that was fixed in resin-io/resin-supervisor#384 - and will be deployed with supervisor 3.0.1.

It’s a bit sad to hear since I really thought it’ll be a fault on our side - we could greatly improve production time for a single unit so I would be very very happy if one could give me an estimated date when the new supervisor will be released.

However - even with this Bug the preloading is already saving us much time…

1 Like