Preloading and Pre-provisioning

Hi guys,

I’m looking at a project for a client that would have a lot of devices rolled out all over the place.

Key is to ship these with the app pre-loaded and the devices pre-configured, so that in the field, the person setting up the device can just boot up and the device is already paired with say a user account // or we can ship the SD with a equivalent of a small ID number (like UUID) on paper, where the guy just type it into a form of their app.

I’ve found this guide : https://www.balena.io/blog/advanced-device-provisioning-workflow-for-large-fleets-preloading-and-pre-provisioning/

It seems to be exactly this kind of use-case. But - there are a lot of references to resin so I wanted to validate first that this was still up to date / working.
And if there is a need for update - I’m cool to serve as a guinea pig to test the revised protocol etc.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @xyala,

You are right, preloading and preregistering a device would be useful for your use case. Yes, the blog post you mentioned is a bit outdated. We have a masterclass which guides you through the preloading and preregistering process. You can find the relevant section here. Let us know if you have any suggestions or if anything is not clear when you go through it.

There are other masterclasses available, if you are interested. You can find them here.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards
Rahul

1 Like

Thanks @rahul-thakoor !
This is great :slight_smile:

Suggestion, add a link to this section of the masterclass guide to the blog post (at the top or something) - I’m sure some other folks will find it blog first as SEO on it seems a little better.

2 Likes

I have one more question about this topic.

Devices that are added as provisioned. Do these count as devices towards our balena plan? Ideally not, but only once they come online - just wanted to validate :slight_smile:

Hi there,
Yes, you are correct. Preloaded devices should appear in the dashboard as inactive ones and will not be counted against your billing plan until they get online for the first time.

epic! thanks :slight_smile: