OpenWebRX not deploying release

I’m trying to install OpenWebRX using the balena CLI all goes well until disabling dvb t adapter and then these are these error messages.
I’m using a raspberry p3 with this build… balenaOS 2.47.0+rev1 supervisor version 10.6.27
This is my first atempt at Balina I thnink I’ve done everthing correctly.

Regards Richard

main] ***** finished building rtl-sdr *****
[main] ***** disabling DVB-T driver *****
[main] rmmod: ERROR: …/libkmod/libkmod.c:514 lookup_builtin_file() could not open builtin file ‘/lib/modules/4.15.0-45-generic/modules.builtin.bin’
[main] rmmod: ERROR: Module dvb_usb_rtl28xxu is not currently loaded
[main]
[main] Cloning into ‘openwebrx’…
[main]
[main] Cloning into ‘csdr’…
[main]
[main] ***** compiling libcsdr *****
[main] NOTE: you may have to manually edit Makefile to optimize for your CPU (especially if you compile on ARM, please edit PARAMS_NEON).
[main] Auto-detected optimization parameters: -mfloat-abi=hard -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mvectorize-with-neon-quad -funsafe-math-optimizations -Wformat=0 -DNEON_OPTS -DCSDR_DISABLE_FFTW_MEASURE
[main] rm -f dumpvect*.vect
[main] gcc -std=gnu99 -O3 -ffast-math -fdump-tree-vect-details -dumpbase dumpvect -mfloat-abi=hard -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mvectorize-with-neon-quad -funsafe-math-optimizations -Wformat=0 -DNEON_OPTS -DCSDR_DISABLE_FFTW_MEASURE fft_fftw.c libcsdr_wrapper.c -g -lm -lrt -lfftw3f -DUSE_FFTW -DLIBCSDR_GPL -DUSE_IMA_ADPCM -Wno-unused-result -fpic -shared -Wl,-soname,libcsdr.so.0.15 -o libcsdr.so.0.15
[main] gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mfloat-abi=hard’
[main]
[main] gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mfpu=neon’
[main]
[main] gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mvectorize-with-neon-quad’
[main]
[main] make: *** [Makefile:57: libcsdr.so] Error 1
[main]
[main] NOTE: you may have to manually edit Makefile to optimize for your CPU (especially if you compile on ARM, please edit PARAMS_NEON).
[main] Auto-detected optimization parameters: -mfloat-abi=hard -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mvectorize-with-neon-quad -funsafe-math-optimizations -Wformat=0 -DNEON_OPTS -DCSDR_DISABLE_FFTW_MEASURE
[main] gcc -std=gnu99 -O3 -ffast-math -fdump-tree-vect-details -dumpbase dumpvect -mfloat-abi=hard -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mvectorize-with-neon-quad -funsafe-math-optimizations -Wformat=0 -DNEON_OPTS -DCSDR_DISABLE_FFTW_MEASURE fft_fftw.c libcsdr_wrapper.c -g -lm -lrt -lfftw3f -DUSE_FFTW -DLIBCSDR_GPL -DUSE_IMA_ADPCM -Wno-unused-result -fpic -shared -Wl,-soname,libcsdr.so.0.15 -o libcsdr.so.0.15
[main]
[main]
[main] gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mvectorize-with-neon-quad’
[main]
[main]
[main] Removing intermediate container 21344af02b10
[main] The command ‘/usr/src/app/install.sh’ returned a non-zero code: 2
[Info] Uploading images
[Success] Successfully uploaded images
[Error] Some services failed to build:
[Error] Service: main
[Error] Error: The command ‘/usr/src/app/install.sh’ returned a non-zero code: 2
[Info] Built on arm03
[Error] Not deploying release.
Remote build failed

Hi there, looking at the log output, I can see that your install.sh script is failing, presumable this is related to the high number of gcc errors also shown in the logs. As a starting point for debugging this, I would suggest trying to resolve the gcc errors and also verify that you have all the required dependencies for your app.

Hi Richard,
Can you share a bit more about the way that you try to disable the DVB-T adapter?
It looks like you try to use a system method while building the Docker images.
During the build, you can’t run code that interacts with the OS or the hardware.

Such actions should take place inside your startup script (the CMD like in your Dockerfile).
Let me also point you to the section of our documentation about interacting with the hostOS.

Kind regards,
Thodoris

Hi Thodoris
Sorry I should have included that info. I am using the BalenoCLI I’ve installed on Windows 10. I used the command
C:\Users\Richard\Balena\sdr-spectrum-monitor-master\sdr-spectrum-monitor-master>balena push OpenWebRX

I scrolled back through the installation screen until I saw the error message which came after the display showed the disabling DVB-T driver as below

***** disabling DVB-T driver *****
[main] rmmod: ERROR: …/libkmod/libkmod.c:514 lookup_builtin_file() could not open builtin file ‘/lib/modules/4.15.0-45-generic/modules.builtin.bin’

I’m new to Balena and although I have now got Open Web RX working by using the Image from this source

I would like to learn and install from Balena there are some other projects I’d llike to attempt.

Kind regards

Richard

Hi Lucian

I’m using the install from the BalenaCLI and I don’t know enough about programming and what gcc errors are. i was under the impression that using the BalenaCLI meant the installwas completly automated.

regards

Richard

Hello Richard,

It looks like the errors you received were due to the use of a 64 bit OS. When you created the application or added a device, did you select “Raspberry Pi 3 (Using 64 bit OS)?” If so, please try again using just “Raspberry Pi 3” and you should not receive those gcc errors. (gcc is the name of the compiler) You may continue to get the DVB error but the project should still build and upload.

I’m glad you were able to get OpenWebRX working from the source, but I would encourage you to try the build again through the balena CLI. There are also some other great projects on our blog if you are new to balena. Let us know if you run into any further issues, we’re always glad to help.

Hi Alan

Many thanks for your reply, yes I did use the 64 bit version. I’m out at the moment 10am UK time, but should be back home this afternoon I’ll follow your advice and let you know the results.

I am very impressed with Balena and looking forward to trying some more of the projects.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Alan

I did as you suggested but the application failed to deploy again but this time with a different error message. I pasted the error from where it failed hopefully it may help to resolve this issue.

I tried with the RTL dongle inserted and without inserted in the RPI

Regards Richard

[main] – Set runtime path of “/usr/local/bin/rtl_biast” to “”
[main] ***** finished building rtl-sdr *****
[main] ***** disabling DVB-T driver *****
[main]
[main] Cloning into ‘openwebrx’…
[main]
[main] Cloning into ‘csdr’…
[main]
[main] ***** compiling libcsdr *****
[main]
[main]
[main]
[main]
[main]
[main]
[main]
[main]
[main] Removing intermediate container 64f787665286
[main] The command ‘/usr/src/app/install.sh’ returned a non-zero code: 2
[Info] Uploading images
[Success] Successfully uploaded images
[Error] Some services failed to build:
[Error] Service: main
[Error] Error: The command ‘/usr/src/app/install.sh’ returned a non-zero code: 2
[Info] Built on arm03
[Error] Not deploying release.
Remote build failed

Additional information may be available by setting a DEBUG=1 environment
variable: “set DEBUG=1” on a Windows command prompt, “$env:DEBUG = 1” on
powershell, or “export DEBUG=1” on Linux or macOS.

If you need help, don’t hesitate in contacting our support forums at
https://forums.balena.io

Hello,
I can’t reproduce this, just tried the following:

• created a raspberry pi 3 application on the balena dashboard named rpi3;
  • cloned the project: git clone git@github.com:balena-io-playground/sdr-spectrum-monitor.git;
  • changed directory: cd sdr-spectrum-monitor;
  • pushed it to my rpi3 app: balena push rpi3.

It built with no errors. Can you please check you are using a 32bit raspberry pi 3 device type and this repository https://github.com/balena-io-playground/sdr-spectrum-monitor ?

Hi Zvin

Many thanks for your reply, it worked. I noticed you’d used the name you gave the application in the CLI push, wheras I’d used OpenWebRX in my ignorance of the system. Following your lead I used my app name and it all installed perfectly.

Thanks again for your help and everyones patience.

Regards

Richard

You’re welcome :slight_smile: