Multiple ports with public URL?

Hi there, I’ve just talked to some teammates and we don’t have any progress update for now. I’ve bumped the feature request internally, and we’ll get back to you once we progress on this.

1 Like

Thank you for your amazing service Balena! I wanted to add my own +1

I’m currently setting up a EchoLink/SvxLink VOIP node for my local ham radio repeater, and this requires exposing ports 5198/UDP, 5199/UDP, and 5200/TCP to the public internet.

Any ideas on how this would be possible? I can provision my own server for now. If you need help rolling out the feature in the future, btw, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the feedback! I have forwarded your feedback to the engineers working on this, and we’ll update this thread once we have something working!

+1 on our side as well :slight_smile:
We also need this feature to allow remote support troubleshooting possible problems, with a number of service exposed via different ports.

I understand that the best alternative to this would be a proxy?
Anything else you can recommend?

Many thanks,
Vitaliy

Hi

Indeed that’s the alternative for now - see an example here - https://github.com/balena-io-examples/nginx-reverse-proxy
But please note that this is not recommended for production yet.

We’ll update this thread when we have more information about the availability of the feature.

+1 from our side as well, we have grpc servers that would be great to serve them through the public url.

just wanted a question regarding this, will this work also with grpc_pass in the nginx proxy?

Hey Daniel, I’m not very familiar with what grpc_pass does, but I assume once a request reaches the proxy, you can do whatever you want with it as you are then working with the on-device networking. You can just give it a quick try, we’d be happy tot know if it work or not.

Hi,
just tried it.
on local network it works fine with doing grpc calls to port 80 directly to the ip, i couldnt figure which address should i address when doing a grpc call, working directly with the public url didnt work.
any suggestions?