Multiple containers on same hardware?

Hi there,
first of all, congrats for the amazing service.

I have an Dockerised app that runs in two containers, on a RPI2, one for nodejs and another for mongodb. They are both configured with fig, exactly as the vanilla configs from meanjs.org

Is it possible to run two containers as below?
I noticed resin-safebox runs mongo, but unfortunatelly in the same container as node.

Thanks,
Franklin Dattein

Hi Franklin,

Multiple containers are on the way, but unfortunately we haven’t completed all the functionality we want. There are indirect ways to do it today, but they’re not super elegant. Multi-container is one of our most requested features, and we want to create a great solution for them.

2 Likes

@alexandros are you considering data volumes in your multi-container design?

I’d love to hear the use case you have in mind, but I also think the design we’re thinking of should be able to do things with volumes. I am not too certain though.

I have two reasons the data volume would be useful. That said the real goal is persistent storage that does not get wiped with docker volume updates. It could also easily be solved with some type of nfs or other host based storage accessible by the containers.

1. Store settings that survive updates.
  2. My application allows the user to download plugins to our application. I’d want those downloads to survive updates.

Ah. This should work:

http://talk.resin.io/t/where-to-store-file-that-are-persistent/36

My use case has two motivations:

1. Same as mentioned before, purely data separation.
  2. Because my docker setup is already setup like this and this is the recommended practice everywhere you read about Docker setups.