Issues during CLI login / API token

Hello everyone.
I have a powershell script which is fetching balena cloud details of my fleet frequent so I connect via API Token to balena which worked nice till yesturday.?

Checking today in more detail I still can not auth any longer via CLI (Windows - on two dedicated systems where one was fresh installed)

I get error:
Logging in to balena-cloud.com
Token authentication failed
UNABLE_TO_VERIFY_LEAF_SIGNATURE: request to https://api.balena-cloud.com/actor/v1/whoami failed, reason: unable to verify the first certificate

Tried it via web auth and credentials too for “balena login” but here the webbrowser give me a “something went wrong” back or same issue with the certificate.

I wanted to see if I can fetch the used cert from api.balena.cloud to see if my system has issues with its cert store but this is as well giving me an error so I suspect the API might really have issues?

root@Server-01:~# openssl s_client -showcerts -servername server -connect api.balena-cloud.com:443
CONNECTED(00000003)
80FBDEB4A67F0000:error:0A000410:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert handshake failure:…/ssl/record/rec_layer_s3.c:1584:SSL alert number 40

no peer certificate available

No client certificate CA names sent

SSL handshake has read 7 bytes and written 308 bytes
Verification: OK

New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)
Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
No ALPN negotiated
Early data was not sent
Verify return code: 0 (ok)

Checked the official status page from balena (nothing to spot for my issue).

Running a bit out of ideas without beeing able to raise a payed support ticket which I do not have in my current plan so can you confirm CLI login or API work is working for you or you had simular you fixed in the past?

Thanks for any hint and best,
Richie

This could be due to a misconfiguration, are you still facing this issue?

I still have same failure but due to the low rate of negative feedback I guess its a windows 11 only issue or at least on my setups.
Looking ffor different OS at a later time fresh installed to get good CAs.
Checking api.balana-cloud.com ssl cert chain and installed root and intermediate cert localally did not made any change.
The option to move to linux and using here api calls is out as my later script part relies on a windows .exe file for a hosting provider api call.
But loos like not to be a general API failure at balena so I come back when found a sollution.

Due to unknown reason this evening the authentication works again without issues.
I assume that there where issues with the certificate chain or ISP.
Anyway - busted :slight_smile: #thanks